Thursday, March 16, 2006

Religious Intolerance... Among Christians?

The amazingly insightful SkyePuppy left a link that explores the attitudes among mainstream Christians concerning the Mormon faith. Evidently the post is written by a Mormon who is amazed that anyone would hold Mitt Romney's religious beliefs against him.

I personally am leery of criticizing or belittling anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus. I don't think that's my job here. In fact, when you get beyond merely stating what you believe (and why) and go so far as to judge others, or maybe... call their religion a cult?... I think you put on the pharisee's robes. And I think that is very dangerous.

A person's religion can be a reason not to vote for someone. I wouldn't vote for a Muslim. But if Mitt Romney convinces me that he will lead and govern in a way that I approve, I'll have no problem voting for the man.

Anyway, here is the link to the post:
http://hedgehogcentral.blogspot.com/2006/03/mitt-romney-update.html

1 comment:

James Reesor said...

+++[Hypothetical Scenario]+++

JIGROP WITNESS responds to a WOMAN AT THE MALL after being asked the meaning of JIGROP: "Thanks for asking! It's just a reminder of my favorite verse in the Bible -- John 3:16. 'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.' We Christians believe that anyone who fails to believe in Jesus will 'perish' -- just like the Bible explains. JIGROP is an acronym. This one-word message simply means -- Jesus is God, repent or perish."

WOMAN AT THE MALL: "If you love Jesus, and want people to repent of sin so they'll go to Heaven instead of Hell, you must be a Christian. Where do you go to church?"

JIGROP WITNESS: "I attend several good churches in our community. I like visiting different places just to see how other Christians worship. During this past year, I had fellowship with Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Catholics, Pentecostals -- just to name a few. No matter which church Christians choose, we need to keep in mind that the real 'Church' of God is the one the Bible speaks of as the Body of Christ."

( WOMAN AT THE MALL is thinking as she listens: "This person with the 'JIGROP' shirt seems sincere, and doesn't have selfish or competitive motives?" )

WOMAN AT THE MALL: "I'm running late for a lunch appointment, but thanks for the explanation. The next time I see 'JIGROP' on a shirt, I'll know what it means. Maybe I need to read the Bible and start going to church?"

JIGROP WITNESS: "Good idea! Glad we could talk. Have a nice day!"

( WOMAN AT THE MALL walks away after putting the witnessing card into her purse. She will probably remember kindness shown by a Christian stranger. )

The JIGROP WITNESS turns to see a man approaching with a smile and hears him ask, "What's the meaning of that word on your shirt?"

DO A WEB SEARCH TO FIND JIGROP