Friday, August 01, 2008


My Recent "Amazon" Purchase

Starting from the lower left... Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite authors whose character development and style always entertains.

The Princess and the Kiss is a story about God's Gift of Purity, and was recommended by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I bought it for my eldest nephew... Who, in my heart, I still hope is still pure... Though the fact that he and his wife have conceived a daughter burdens me with doubt.


The Last Words of Saints and Sinners is a favorite of Michael Easley, the president of Moody Bible Institute... And I plan to incorporate a weekly "Last Words" post from said tome on Malott's Blog... When I finally get around to reading it... The book, that is.

The video "Pride and Prejudice" and Bryson's Book were purchased due to the influence of a certain blogger, who will remain unnamed... And who will no doubt consider it a kind of triumph that she influenced me to buy them... Which I find only moderately annoying.

Yes... Yes... I'm well aware... P&P is a chick flick. But it's... well... just so good. And I couldn't tolerate sitting through all those tedious commercials when it played on the Oxygen channel. Art should never be sifted and partitioned with the peddling of female gizmos and accoutrements... Something I feel very strongly about.

7 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, if only you had a talented daughter who played the P&P score for you on the piano in the family room, your life would be complete. Her favorite song to play is the one that opens the movie, when Elizabeth is reading while she walks toward the house.

Now that song is running through my head again. Good!

I'll have to check out Nelson DeMille's books. Where should I start?

Bekah said...

I'm very impressed with the P&P purchase. And I had to laugh at the comments about Oxygen. There have been many times while watching movies on there, I've wondered what the people driving past the house must think at some of those commercials.

Delmania said...

"Though the fact that he and his wife have conceived a daughter burdens me with doubt."

What does this line mean? Either you're saying that his impurity resulted in him having a daughter (and not a son), or that you believe the fact that since he's had sex with his wife, he's no longer pure.

In either case, you're dead wrong, I am wondering if you're wrong due to chauvinism or fear of human sexuality (especially, since, for Christians, a marriage relationship is the only place where sex is considered to be appropriate)

Malott said...

Delmania,

I bought this book as my nephew's Father's Day present... Something he could read to his little girl. He and I are close, and the stuff I said was kind of a joke.

However, I wouldn't rule out my chauvinism or my fears of human sexuality.

Actually, what I fear most is - not having sex for the rest of my life... Just the thought makes me weep.

Thanks for stopping by.

Delmania said...

Thanks for the explanation. I came to this blog as a result of FSTDT, and I very rarely get the chance to speak with the people whose comments are posted to hear their side of the story.

As the fathers of 2 daughters myself, I can understand the desire to keep them my "little girls" for as long as possible, but I think when the time comes, I will educate them about human sexuality and then hope that my parenting is enough to make sure they make wide decisions.

Malott said...

Delmania,

Two daughters... What a huge responsibility. Best of luck!



Skyepuppy,

My friend started with NightFall and then bought the rest. I started with The Gold Coast... I think.

SkyePuppy said...

Delmania,

FSTDT folks say the darnedest things!


Chris,

Thanks. I'll see what the library has.