Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Quoting Mother Theresa

"I love all religions. ... If people become better Hindus, better Muslims, better Buddhists by our acts of love, then there is something else growing there."


"All is God -- Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, etc., all have access to the same God."


"We never try to convert those who receive [aid from Missionaries of Charity] to Christianity but in our work we bear witness to the love of God's presence and if Catholics, Protestants, Buddhists, or agnostics become for this better men -- simply better -- we will be satisfied. It matters to the individual what church he belongs to. If that individual thinks and believes that this is the only way to God for her or him, this is the way God comes into their life -- his life. If he does not know any other way and if he has no doubt so that he does not need to search then this is his way to salvation."

Before I comment, I just want to say how hypocritical I feel critiquing someone who definitely "laid down her life" in service to God... A spiritual manifestation of which my life is a pathetic example. This woman was an incredible person of self-sacrifice.

Still, I have to ask, where is the Christian love in caring for the poor... If the saving truth is withheld from them? No one comes to the Father except through Jesus. I believe there is no eternal gravity or substance in charity that operates independent of the gospel.

Mother Theresa's works are a stirring testimony to the love of Christ... But the quotations above miss the deeper reality: The eternal healing... The salvation that comes only through a relationship with Jesus.

This celebrated woman is perhaps the greatest humanitarian that ever lived... And surely she knew, in spite of these quotes, that her service to mankind was filthy rags... If performed independent of the Father's sacrifice.

"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you." Matthew 7:22-23

In spite of these quotes, I choose to believe that Mother Theresa's beneficiaries were led to look at the Source of her amazing service.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 1 Corinthians 13:12 KJV

All mankind, both evil and good, equally performs and teeters on the same precipice... But for one name... Jesus.

5 comments:

Bekah said...

I think you said this very well. Obviously the buck stops with God's final judgment on each of us and no one can say the outcome of another, but I think there is something very eternally dangerous in focusing so much on good works and good choices. In many ways I think it's exactly the "comfort" that will lead (has led?) to far too much complacency and even eternal loss.

Malott said...

BekahBek,

I guess I was disappointed that she held these views.

I'm sometimes amazed how my Catholic friends know their church's doctrine, but so little of the Bible.

SkyePuppy said...

There are some countries (India is NOT one of them) where you can't share the Gospel unless people ask, "Why are you helping me?" Then you can share about Jesus.

But that's not what Mother Theresa said. It reminds me of a pastor who was telling about a man who was trying to convince his non-Christian friend to stop living in sin with his girlfriend. The pastor said, "Are you trying to get him cleaned up for hell?"

Think of all the people Mother Theresa helped become "better men" who are now in hell. With the mention of Jesus, they might have been better men in heaven. Sad.

P Maillet said...

This is very well written and very well thought out.

I'm not sure how I landed on your blog, I was just surfing while winding down for the night. I noticed your name is similar to mine, and your blog name also similar to mine:
http://pmailletblogs.blogspot.com/
so I thought I'd look around.

Good job!

Anonymous said...

On the blog Quoting Mother Theresa, you did an excellent job. I have forwarded your article to my Roman Catholic friends who are searching for the truth but who are torn between the TRUTH about Christ and their Roman Catholic training which is diametrically opposed to the Bible. I would know as I am a former Roman Catholic. Galatians 1:8-9 says it all.