Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I Once Had a Doll Named Nancy


When I was very young... while playing doctor, I put merthiolate on a couple of my sister's dolls - and voila' - My mother bought me my very own doll. And I believe there was some talk of me staying away from my sister's stuff. I named the doll Nancy after my sister's friend on whom I had a huge crush.

Eighteen years ago I was involved in a romantic dalliance of seismic proportions - the type of steamy relationship in which you lose weight - because you forget to eat. To describe her face I would say that - if God had made Reba McEntire beautiful, she would have looked like this girl. She was a brown-haired, brown-eyed, coltish-legged, petite little thing that might have tipped the scales at 100 pounds, if soaking wet - but she was stronger than I could ever hope to be and I was helplessly wrapped about her finger.

In the summer of 88' she ate me up and spit me out, and I said never again. She came back in the summer of 95', did the exact same thing, and it was delightfully painful.


Anyway, where am I going with this? Well, as I get older my mind is beginning to play little tricks on me. My memories are being edited by my brain as it fills in holes by incorporating dreams, images on TV, and scenes from movies. Distinct experiences, faces, and times are blending together to make an out-of-sync, out-of-context mish mash of names, faces, and experiences from my past.

Once a memory has been infected by this process, it becomes a reoccurring and haunting misrepresentation of my past.

Current events are making this phenomenon unnerving and quite disturbing.

5 comments:

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Is she saying "Boo!" Even if not, she sure scared me.

Malott said...

AICS,

Pelosi characteristically frightens on many levels.

Bekah said...

"...the type of steamy relationship in which you lose weight..."

My favorite diet ever was the dating diet. It lasted seven wonderfully tempestuous years. So far it's been the only successful diet I've found!

Malott said...

Hmmm. The dating diet. If you write a book you'll make millions.

Was this one guy for seven years, or a different guy every week for seven years?

Bekah said...

Well the book will only work after I go ON the diet again - or at least until I fit into the clothes I wore when I last did that diet.

A different guy every week for seven years? What kinda girl do you think I am? Just kidding. One guy. Seven years. Although only 7 months of the 7 years were official dating. The rest was an on again/off again business that thoroughly exhausted me. Perhaps THAT was the real diet.