Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting in a Tiny Town

I arrived at the high school at 6:00 AM- sharp - and heard the "hear ye, hear ye, the polls are now open." There were enough people from my town of about 2,000 who had braved the cold wet weather - to make me wait in line a full 30 seconds before I was able to proceed. I pulled out my driver's license with my photo and picked up my paper ballot.

There is something comforting and "homey" about voting in a small town. I saw the same poll workers I see every election... especially the four sisters - Norma Jean, Sue Ellen, Milda, and Myra Sue.

Milda lost her son in a plane crash about ten years ago. He was a good friend of mine in high school.

Four years ago, when I moved back home and voted the first time, Milda came up to me and hugged me and held my face in her hands. The look she gave me, I'm sure, was full of memories of her boy. It made me want to stand up straight - watch my language - and be a better man than I probably am.

Small town accountability.

The Democrats gerrymandered us into a pretty inconsequential ballot, but our turn-out will still be much better than the national average. Voting is a social event - and it feels good.

The school smelled the same.

8 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Our poll workers would be drawn and quartered if they asked for ID. I just show them the back of my sample ballot when they ask for my name.

Great post. Now stand up straight.

Malott said...

This is the first non-primary election in which this photo ID law is being used.

Unfortunately, the ultra-liberal Julia Carson of Indianapolis may be ousted - and will no doubt blame it on "voter intimidation."

Anonymous said...

I'm racking my brain trying to work out which party got your vote...

SkyePuppy said...

Jacob, Jacob, Jacob... (shakes head in dismay)

Anonymous said...

Sarcasm, gawd.

paw said...

Very well said, Mr. Malott. I grew up 50 miles from the Canadian border in a very small midwest town. My last family to leave that town did so in '96, and it's been a loss that I feel more so every year: not running into my old coach at Northland Foods over Thanksgiving, not hearing my old piano teacher playing the organ at church over Christmas.

Tonight it took me just about 3 hours to vote on the oh-so-fancy-new-machines. Volunteers kept coming by the line with pizzas, pb and j's, homemade cookies; there were a couple cowboys with fiddle and banjo very effectively keeping people motivated. Very nice and very much appreciated, and there's certainly a sense of community here, but you helped me think about coach Forney and Mrs. Nordval. Moved home, eh? Interesting choice. You sound very satisfied. I get that, I think.

In St. Paul, where I spent my much of my adulthood, I voted in a firehouse, the line forming directly in front of 6 very shiny red fire engines. One year we all had to be rounded up into a corner while the trucks blew out of there on a call. It was beautiful. I liked that polling place very much.

I just can't keep a comment to 75 words or less. I'm trying....

Anonymous said...

Nice post malott. I grew up voting in my small town of 3000, in the cafeteria of the school that both me and my parents went to as kids. Yesterday I voted in a city of 10 million people (on the same huge metal lever-pulling machines of my youth!) at a school cafeteria where people were voting of whom many generations of their grandparents, parents, and they themselves attended as kids. In that room it was still a great, friendly social event despite the vast difference of scale.

Election day is always the best day in America, or at least it should be. That's why it should be a national holiday. That's why anyone who ever interferes or tampers with it should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That's why it should be something every American can feel is being conducted honestly and with integrity and accountability. That's why nobody should ever mess with it - because as Americans they respect it for being the best expression of what America means and stands for.

SkyePuppy said...

Jacob,

Yes, I know. (Still shakes head in dismay)

You just have that effect on me...