Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Removing Christ from Christmas

CHICAGO (AP) - A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.
New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event.

"The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another," said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events.
"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061128/D8LLRK9O0.html

Ah... It's for the good of the people.

My first impression is that we must be doing something right if the world will jump through such hoops of logic to protect itself from the Baby Jesus. Such an offensive display as the Christmas Story has no place in a Christmas Festival.

I'll agree that Jesus is offensive to the world... That is, if we're following Him in the right way. Sadly, the Mayor's office serves a higher power that would strike the Son of God from every facet of American Life - especially the Religious part. The world's religion, man's religion - religion without Jesus - is the goal, and always has been.

Nothing new here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta admit: my first reaction upon seeing the heading 'removing Christ from Christmas' almost made me gag a little bit in my mouth. I know it's a bit of a sticking point in the minds of many American evangelicals and avid fans of The O'Reilly Factor alike (actually, they're the same people), but the perennial argument about what constitutes an overlapping of the church over the rest of the world doesn't really interest me in the slightest.

For one, I don't really give a shit (excuse the French) whether people set up their nativity scenes everywhere. I don't mind if they put signs up outside my house or down my main street. There's far worse things that religion has done than inconvenience people like me by attempting to convert me with crappy, factory-produced statues and cheap cardboard propaganda.

So this isn't my problem.

My problem is with the people who so desperately want their religion to be the theme of the party, but scorn anyone else who wants to bring along a different costume. It's fair enough to get in a strop whenever some dousche tries to take Christ out of Christmas (not that I believe that he would have wanted to be the center of attention all the friggin time, but whatever), but on that same token it might be nice to hear some people of your particular brand of Christianity to be as outraged whenever it happens to anyone else. Just for a change.

Thank you.

SkyePuppy said...

Jacob,

The "S" word is decidedly not French. Their word starts with "M". (I had to get to the important stuff first.)

I'm really glad you don't mind our attempts to convert you with our crappy, factory-produced statues and cheap cardboard propaganda, but The O'Reilly Factor??? Oh, please! The guy is self-absorbed, and I cannot like him. Here's one American evangelical who is not the same people as an avid fan.

For Christmas, our religion is the reason for the party. Period. But you mistake our sense of outrage. When the Taliban destroyed the Buddhist places in Afghanistan, my outrage was about as great as it would have been if those were Christian. You do not mess with what's sacred to people. Another period.

The difficulty with expressing outrage at offenses against other religions is that they happen a lot less often these days. Unless you can give me a good example so I can express the proper outrage for you...

Anonymous said...

It is amusing when non-Christians get offended at Christ in Christmas.

How exactly do you celebrate CHRISTmas without Christ?

Anonymous said...

Skye,

My French is - how you say - le crap.

And YAY to the O'Reilly comment. 'Twas such a relief, cos that man is the biggest parasite on television. I only wish that I hadn't switched to Fox News that one time... and then kept watching for several hours.

Ahem.

Mr. McLefty,

How exactly do you celebrate CHRISTmas without Christ?

Well, at my house we have friends and family over for lunch and talk about stuff. Sometimes the old people drink too much and have to be separated from each other, lest a fight break out.

Poor Jesus gets left out of my festivities. Poor him, I guess.

Malott said...

Mr McLefty,

Are you one of those Reagan Dems?

Just wondered.

Anonymous said...

Negative.

I am one of those Clinton Dems, who practices his Catholic faith and has a brain.

Is that close to the same thing?