Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Kidnapping

FNC senior VP John Moody's internal message to Fox News personnel about the kidnapping:

"The rumors are true: two of our employees have been abducted in Gaza. We will report this fact via our Israel correspondents. Do NOT do any other segments on it. Do not book guests on this topic. Do not comment officially and of course, not on the air, about it. DO pray for their release. I will keep you posted."

What I find most troubling is that there is no claim of resposibility and no demands. I'm hoping the idea was to use "live" abductees as trading tools.

Evidently the best way to handle it is to give it as little attention as possible, because there is little or no mention of it anywhere... then again I don't watch that much TV, and wouldn't know.

But I have a question. We see these pretty little girls in dangerous situations, reporting from the Middle East. We get to know them and they become like a favorite niece. What would be the reaction if one of these were kidnapped? Would it be handled differently?

Does putting young women in this situation compromise not only their safety but the safety of those who would seek to save them?

I would never want to impede the career of anyone, but there are certain realities that trump political correctness.

4 comments:

janice said...

Steve Cenntani (probably not spelled right) was at one time a local newsman in the Cleveland area. I heard his name mentioned and mangeled by a Bloomberg news reporter Monday morning and did recall seeing him report via video phone live from Gaza.
Gaza! who in the world wants an assignment in Gaza?
These "press" people tape a big sign on their back and think they're safe and untouchable, able to roam around the "war" unmolested.
There used to be a time when churches, places of worship, red cross vehicals, medics and the press were off limits in times of war. But the nazis, like these jihadis, make their own rules.
All is fair in jihadi and war!

SkyePuppy said...

I had Fox News on in the background for a lot of the past two weekends, and the "pretty little girl" they had reporting from over there (Jennifer Griffin) was always in Israel. For the Lebanon and Gaza reporting they had men reporters (Shepard Smith, Steve Centanni, Mike Tobin, and another guy who's cute but I forget his name--Laura Ingraham thinks Mike Tobin is cute, but I've never liked guys whose necks are wider than their heads).

So I think my point is that Fox is keeping its girl reporters where they're safer (not entirely safe, of course). Jennifer is less prone to being kidnapped, because she's in Israel.

Maybe there's a pattern here. Muslim countries = dangerous. Israel = safer. Hmmm...

Malott said...

Janice,

You get to know these people and it just leaves you with a sick feeling. I wonder if Fox people are more of a target since they have the reputation of being a more Republican or conservative outfit?

Skyepuppy,

I hadn't noticed the placing distinction between the male and female reporters. Thanks for the info.

"Maybe there's a pattern here. Muslim countries = dangerous. Israel = safer. Hmmm..."

I'll have to mull this over. I've never heard this from the news media or CAIR.

janice said...

Oh but Chris, CAIR used the kidnapping to throw O'Reilly off when questioned why their panties were in a bunch over the pres' use of islamo-fascist. As I dig into my little email bag, I just so happen to have the interchange, as reported by CAIR,

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: Now for the top story tonight, the Council on American Islamic Relations has written a letter to President Bush objecting to his use of the term "Islamic fascist." I use that term as well.

Joining us now from Washington is Nihad Awad, director - executive director of CAIR.

OK. Are you going to tell me that Iran isn't a fascist state and the Mujahideen, the jihadists are not fascist people? Are you going to tell me, that sir?

NIHAD AWAD, COUNCIL ON AMERICAN ISLAMIC RELATIONS: Bill, thanks for having me. And allow me first to share with you and your viewers that our organization CAIR has issued a statement demanding the release of the FOX crew who were abducted or kidnapped today in Gaza. And we pray and hope for their safe return to do their job back to their families.

Notice how he totally shifted the focus?
Here's the website if you care to read the entire interchange.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,208433,00.html