Tuesday, August 15, 2006


Canning Tomatoes

You can't have too many quarts of canned tomatoes. Picture - if you will - a cold December afternoon... snow is swirling outside in the blustery wind. Wearing your favorite gray sweatshirt you sit down for a late lunch of Macaroni and Cheese and spinach that you grew last spring in your garden. Suddenly you think, "Hey, this meal needs something more!"

You smile.

With head held high you hurry to the refrigerator and take out the Ball Jar that has been chilling there. Warmth and satisfaction wells up in your soul as you dip the red treasure into your favorite little bowl.

As you savor the delicious fruit, you pity the poor schmucks in your neighborhood who were too lazy... or too old... to grow tomatoes and can them. But does your pity move you to call them over to share in your orbs of delight? I don't think so.

My tomatoes... My Precious...

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Beautiful!

How long does it take to can all those tomatoes?

My mom used to can when I was still in school, but I avoided that kind of work like the plague, so I have no idea about canning tomatoes.

Malott said...

I use quart jars and start with 1/2 tsp sea salt. I dip the tomatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 20 seconds which makes them easy to peal with my fingers. I remove the stemspot. I then stuff them in the jars, halving some, and finish by adding tomato juice... and then I put the lids on and tighten.

I put them in a large pot and cover them (over the tops) with cold water. I set the burner to med high, bring them to a boil, and set the timer for thirty minutes. I remove them immediately and let them cool.

My dad boils his for only 20 minutes.

SkyePuppy said...

That doesn't sound so bad. I still would have avoided it when I was a kid, though.