Monday, August 21, 2006

Hurricanes

As of yesterday (20 August) three tropical storms will have formed in the Atlantic in an "average" year, which is the same number that have formed this year so far.
In the hurricane category, this year is decidedly below normal, with no hurricanes so far, while by this date 1.5 hurricanes have formed in the average of years 1944 though 2005.

Reason for the Season?: Cooler Sea Surface Temperatures
Part of the reason for the slow season is that tropical western Atlantic sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are running about normal, if not slightly below normal.
In contrast, at the same time last year SSTs in the same region were running well above normal.

The cooler SSTs in the Atlantic are not an isolated anomaly. In a research paper being published next month in Geophysical Research Letters, scientists will show that between 2003 and 2005, globally averaged temperatures in the upper ocean cooled rather dramatically, effectively erasing 20% of the warming that occurred over the previous 48 years.

Media reports over the last year have suggested that, since global warming will only get worse, and last year's hurricane activity was supposedly due to global warming, this season might well be as bad as last season. But it appears that Mother Nature might have other plans.
http://www.weatherstreet.com/hurricane/2006/hurricane-atlantic-2006-below-normal-season.htm

Yes, before we wreck the nation's economy and return to a pre-industrialized age, maybe we should give it some thought.
Were there little Al Gores and other doomsdayers running around during the heatwaves of the 1930's or the previous record year for Hurricanes in 1933? Perhaps there were a few, but there is no way that there were as many scientists running around looking for attention and a government grant.

5 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

You gotta love it!

I went to a friend's party back in November, and her Lefty friends were there ready to discuss Global Warming. They loved pointing out to me that they were scientists (Chemistry professor, physics major), leaving the implication that I was not, which I'm not, but still it wasn't nice to put it that way.

Their "science" was that Global Warming is fact, and it was the cause of all the hurricanes last year. My pointing out that the National Hurricane Center said GW was definitely not the cause of all the hurricanes didn't deter these "scientists" one bit.

I would absolutely love to have my friend throw another party in November and talk to the scientists again.

But alas, from what I've seen, the environmental alarmist terminology is changing. "Global Warming" is on its way out, and "Climate Change" is the new term, because it lets the alarmists still be alarmed even when things cool down.

I haven't figured out exactly why they would want to, but you're right about their goals. They want to wreck our economy and return us to a pre-industrial age. Except maybe for themselves--they may want to keep their private jets.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Apparently you both have forgotten the stern warning we previously received from visitor Dave:

"The earth is groaning as we continue in our ignorance to mistreat it as our own personal footstool. If we don't learn to live in harmony with nature, we can never hope nature to treat us with respect. The biosphere is the biggest concern we have today, but you keep building your guns and warships and polluting the Mother with your oil and coal and soot. I don't know if that will look like such a great idea when the planet is ransacked in 50 years.... The Mother is trying to tell us something."

I know when I tried to use my own mother as my personal footstool once she had plenty to say to me - so maybe there is something to Dave's point after all. Besides, I think we all know that those cooler sea temperatures are just part of an evil scheme concocted by George Bush and Karl Rove to make us all believe that there is no such thing as global warming while they continue on their quest to destroy the entire planet (cue maniacal laughter).

Malott said...

I had forgotten about Dave... and all the talk about Mother. I suspect tramatic toilet training, (TTT, as we say in Greentown) or maybe Dave keeps his mother in the cellar and when they talk he does both parts.

I'd forgotten about Dave.

And Skyepuppy,
How can you stomach being around those west coast types? You don't know it, but you are a Hoosier. You would also do well in Mississippi or South Dakota.

SkyePuppy said...

My dear Chris,

I told my friend who threw that party that I had described her on my blog (or in the comments of somebody else's blog) as "a Californian who, by some freak of nature, was born and raised in Indiana." She thought that was pretty accurate, except that she said your average Hoosier does a bit more thinking than your average Californian, so she's still a little bit Hoosier.

Since I flatter myself that I do a bit more thinking than the average Californian (don't ask Joe or FKAB to corroborate this), you just may be right that I'm really a Hoosier.

I'm just glad you didn't say I'd do well in North Dakota. When I was in high school and telling Polak jokes was the rage, in Montana we substituted "North Dakotan" for "Polak" in all the jokes: How many North Dakotans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

As you know, we Hoosiers have our Kentucky jokes.