Friday, May 26, 2006


Wilted Lettuce

Have you ever seen a brighter green? Leaf lettuce is the easiest thing in the world to grow, but you must get it out early to avoid the worms. As soon as I see the white moths flying about my garden I roto-till the lettuce.

I grew up eating "Black-Seeded Simpson," but now I prefer Gurney's "Green Ice" because the leaves are more substantial.

1) Fry two pieces of bacon
2) Wash lettuce and cut sideways to 1.5 inches, enough to fill half a big bowl.
3) Cut two green onions into quarter-inch pieces including half the leaves.
4) Add bacon, torn up.
5) To bacon grease in skillet add 1/2 cup Splenda (or sugar)
6) To grease and Splenda add 3/4 cup white vinegar.
7) Bring to a boil, then pour over lettuce and mix.
8) Serve immediately. Serves two... or one if it's me.

You need at least 1.5 TBSP bacon grease for this to be good... so don't be a baby.

2 comments:

janice said...

I thought my Dad was the only one who made this "dish". When he's feelin' fancy he'll add a peeled tomato or two the the
bacon grease-sugar-vinegar sauce, reduce it then pour over lettuce and/or young spinach. It smell's awsome and tastes like summer.

SkyePuppy said...

Ooh. A Splenda man. Nice!