Monday, May 22, 2006


Gooseberry Island

When your 84-year-old father likes gooseberry pies, and you are a good son (not the kind that runs off to Florida... and though the reason was to start a new church will probably still burn in hell for deserting his family) ...where was I... you do the right thing and and make your dad a gooseberry island.

I think the fact that the rabbits and the birds won't touch them... speaks volumes.

The gooseberries you see above will be ripe in a few weeks. In my opinion, after maturation they will still taste lousy. Their you go, Dad... enjoy. (Bon Apetit', as we say in Greentown.)

2 comments:

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Just curious, did your dad like gooseberry pies when he was younger?

I think the taste buds go haywire after retirement from what the seasoned citizens like.

Malott said...

I'll have to ask. I knew he grew up liking oyster dressing at Thanksgiving, so anything is possible.