Thursday, May 18, 2006

The DaVinci Dud

I love these reviews. This is a rare case in which celebrating another's misfortunes is OK. So we should enjoy it, right?

The film is a disaster from beginning to end... The characters run from clue to clue, and it’s not until about an hour has gone by that you realize you don’t care.
David Fararci, CHUD.com

It's just not that the movie is way too long and duller than watching Da Vinci's paint dry, but it takes away any of the book's little credibility and makes the flaws in it that much more obvious.
Edward Douglas, comingsoon.net

...an oppressively talky film that isn't exactly dull, but comes as close to it as one could imagine with such provocative material.
Todd McCarthy, variety.com

it’s not very good — long (2hr.32min.) and mostly inert.
Richard Corliss, TIME magazine

Roger Ebert likes it... case closed!

7 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Oh no! You missed the quote where they said Tom Hanks is a zombie. Night of the Living Dead meets the Louvre...

Philip Booth said...

I caught the advance screening on Tuesday night, and I was completely UNDERwhelmed.

Aside from the first 15 minutes or so, it's talky, overlong and plain dull.

Tom Hanks looks bored and tired. And way too much of the "thriller" is given over to having people talk about the "facts" related to the conspiracy, rather than thrilling us with the pursuit of the answers.

Several critics in the audience chuckled during those moments when the big "secrets" are revealed.

I posted a review of the movie on my blog.

Christina said...

I haven't read the book and I don't plan to see the movie, but I'm kinda glad that Hollywood is getting a little kick in the pants from the Almighty Film Critics.

Just another example of how wholesome family films continue to get fantastic reviews and generate huge revenues and Hollywood's liberal, anti-Christian agenda continues to fail miserably.

janice said...

I read the book so I could critique it. I will not see the movie. It has been my experience, movies don't live up to the theater of the "minds eye". The Scarlet Letter, 1984, Hunt For Red October, The Old Man & The Sea, and of course lets not forget how Jim Carey totally ruined The Cat in the Hat.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

I thought that was Mike Meyers in The Cat in the Hat. But I didn't see the movie, because I absolutely hated the book when I was a kid (this cat comes in, destroys their house when their parents are gone, stresses them out BIG TIME, and even though he cleans it up at the last second, I couldn't handle the stress).

Look at what they did with The Bourne Identity. Totally different plot in the movie than in the book.

Your point is the perfect reason for waiting until the movie comes out before reading the book. That's what I did with Sense & Sensibility. Of course, you may miss some really good books that way. Sigh!

Malott said...

Ah, the wisdom of Peter Heck.
Priceless.

janice said...

Skye, I stand corrected. Carey ruined How the Grinch Stole Christmas, another classic thrown in the dumper.