Wednesday, May 17, 2006

P. Eric Turner Checks In

This is an update to my previous post.

Within 12 hours of my contacting my State Representative, P. Eric Turner, he sent me this email:

Chris,
I authored a bill this year, HB 1383, which would codify Federal Law preventing health care and government benefitsfor illegal immigrants but it was not successful. I agree with you we should not be rewarding illegal immigrants.
Thanks for communicating with me.
Eric

Does anyone out there know what it means to codify a Federal Law? I could guess...

Once again, we apparently have a state legislator who is much more responsive to the will of the people than the jokers in Washington. This may be the way to go on this issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By codifying the federal law he likely means that he took the terms of the federal statute and introduced a bill in the Indiana legislature that would add similar terms to the Indiana Code. If the bill had been successful, the end result would have been that, if somebody violated the federal law, they also would be violating the state law and would therefore be subject to prosecution by state authorities, not just federal ones.

Hope that helps!