Wednesday, May 24, 2006


Gardening Tip #3

You can't have too many onions in your garden.

If you have an unheated garage or root cellar... or even easy access to your crawl space, what you see above will keep you from buying onions till next spring.

Always buy onion plants form your favorite seed catalog or nursery. Bulbs are OK, but they won't get nearly as big.

Yellow Sweet Spanish (Illegal Onions, as we say in Greentown) are good keepers and get pretty big. I'm also trying Texas Grano this year.

While you're at it, plant garlic in with your onions. Just break up a couple cloves and stick the pieces down in the dirt. You can't eat too much garlic.

4 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Have you ever tried growing leeks? I'd be interested to find out if they're as easy to grow as onions and garlic.

Malott said...

I don't know what a leek is. I'm just a Hoosier, you know.

SkyePuppy said...

A leek is another onion relative. It's in the Bible. When the Hebrew slaves first left Egypt, they started whining about wanting to go back because they had garlic and leeks in Egypt.

They look like overgrown, stiff green onions, and they're the essential ingredient in potato-leek soup (vichyssoise, as they say in France if you serve it cold).

Malott said...

You serve it cold... Hmmm...

That's how I serve up my revenge...

Which version of the Bible has garlic and leeks? You people in California have your own gas, you have your own Bible...

...OK, I looked it up. Numbers 11:5 cucumbers, melons, garlic, onions... and leeks. You have out-Christianed me once again. In Heaven you'll live on main street and i'll be across the tracks. You'll have better seats at the Heavenly Auditorium and Worship Center. I'm impressed. The sad thing is I just read that back in January or February (pronounced Febberary in Greentown)