Tuesday, September 08, 2009

She Likes to Watch (Update)

I blogged here about visiting the Facebook page of a woman from our church of whom I'd heard such glowing spiritual things... And that I was soooo disappointed when I read that her favorite TV shows were Grey's Anatomy and House.

Well this weekend I was watching the news and surfing during commercials... And I came upon a re-run of Grey's Anatomy. This program was in the middle of a commercial break, but I decided to watch and see how long it took them to get to something immoral.

After the commercial, the scene opened with a male and female in scrubs, standing in a hospital stairwell, discussing the fact that they had recently had sex. The male wanted to know how many men the woman had been with, and ended up announcing that he had syphilis.

I remember thinking, 'Well now that didn't take long!'

Later this weekend I stumbled upon House, and decided to watch. About 5 minutes in, there was a bachelor party in which men were licking something off the bare midriffs of prostitutes, then using their mouths to retrieve a shot glass of liquor from the prostitute's cleavage, and then accepting some object mouth to mouth from the prostitutes. It looked like it could be a ritual from a temple of Baal.

Mm Hmm. Now I'm sure the spiritual lady from church would bristle a bit if I walked up to her on Sunday and asked if I could drink liquor from her cleavage. I'm sure she would be insulted being asked to participate in such a vile act...

After all, she is a Christian and prefers to just watch.

Now remember, this is one of the most respected and loved... Supposedly one of the most faithful and religious women in our church... Makes me wonder what the riffraff on the back row are up to!

And I suspect this is an example of why organized religion enjoys, and has earned, the reputation it has in this country. It may help explain why two thirds of our young people leave the Church.

Like I said in my previous post, I have my own list of spiritual short-comings. But I will not be bragging about them on Facebook.

....

4 comments:

Bekah said...

sigh....I know I need to give up grey's. maybe now that george is gone, it will be easier. he was my fave. of course he was probably the one in the stairwell...

Malott said...

Bekah,

Bless your heart, you make me feel like such a hypocrite... Perhaps because I am.

I give up trashy TV because it's easy for me. But there are certainly many areas of my life in which I need to make better decisions.

I appreciate your comments and I'm sure you will continue to grow in wisdom and choose entertainments that honor God.

Bekah said...

Oh totally not trying to make you feel like a hypocrite - because I don't think you are! I told my friend Kari last year that i'd been feeling kicked (by God) about watching it because i knew it wasn't wholesome. But I do so love George and I'll admit to not dis-liking McDreamy (that would be Patrick Dempsey in case you didn't watch long enough to get all the names down).

It's good for me to be kept on my toes about my choices. I'm glad you're doing that!

Tsofah said...

Admittedly, this last week's episode of House was racked with debauchery.

The episodes I've seen before have not been like this at all.

Since the show is being re-hashed with House a patient in a Psychiatric Hospital this entire season; (yes, entire season), and the original three resident/fellows will be utilized more, it should be returning to more family friendly viewing.

If not, I'll have to stick to Heros and Lost...sigh.