Wednesday, September 02, 2009

My Time Selling Bibles in Georgia... And Dr Manning... Seen Below...

Well... I doubt this African American has the support of the NAACP. I know nothing about him, other that I'm confident he is currently branded an Uncle Tom.

He reminds me of Blacks I met back in the summer of '76, when I was a college student selling Bibles door-to-door in Georgia. The black families I met were proud, family oriented people who loved Dr King, but were not sold on the Left Wing ideas that accompanied the Civil Rights movement. I'm sure they had witnessed injustice but they weren't filled with anger or bitterness... They had lives to lead and children to raise and friends to enjoy. They were very religious... they almost always invited me in... and their biggest concern was as to whether or not my Bibles were the "Holy Bible"... which meant that they wanted the "King James" version.

I remember that I once sat on the porch in Newnan Georgia with a middle-aged black man, telling him about my goods, when a truck pulled up and unloaded a bunch of young black kids that were selling magazine subscriptions. A black kid, about my age, approached us and started talking to this man... Acting as if I wasn't there... And the middle-aged black man pointed to me and said, "He was here first." The kid sort of snarled and walked away.

I remember being invited onto the screened-in-porch of an old black woman who sat in her bed-clothes... She didn't see well, and when I showed her my sample "Large-Print Bible," she cried. She said, "I can't afford this Bible... there should be a way people like me should get this." I just handed my sample Bible to her and walked down the street.

It was a learning experience.

I'm sure "The South" has changed since 1976. The black families I met were intact, welcoming, and secure in their Christian heritage.

Anyway, I suspect Dr Manning is a dying breed. He is linked to a culture that valued God and Family.

I suspect that popular Liberalism has destroyed much of the character I loved in the Black Community in Georgia... The good people that took a wandering white college student "in" and made me feel welcome.

....

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

It's so sad that the black community has changed so much, from mostly intact families not all that long ago to... well... what it is today.