Wednesday, August 26, 2009

She Likes to Watch

I read a comment recently on Facebook made by a woman from our church that I'd heard glowing spiritual things about. I followed the comment back to her profile page, and because she'd not activated security, I was able to nib in her personal stuff. Under her "favorite TV shows" she listed a couple programs that feature stories of your basic immorality, people sleeping with people... Well, you know how network television is... It celebrates immorality.

Anyway, it was sooooo disappointing.

It's funny how things haven't really changed since Old Testament times. When the Israelites worshiped other gods, it often involved sexual immorality. Some people performed the sex acts, and other people watched.

Evidently the woman from church likes to watch.

I don't think it's possible to be engaged in the popular culture and its entertainments, and not be polluted by the world. I've given up TV evenings, though I still watch the news and turn on "Nick at Nite" type stuff when I crawl into bed. In the evenings when I need to be entertained, I listen to my podcast sermons.

I'm sure I'm still not as good at being good as the woman from Church, but at least I recognize my desperate situation, and less and less of my sin is premeditated.

Next thing to give up... The Internet!

....

3 comments:

Bekah said...

You WOULD post this the day I'm deciding my fall lineup..... ;)

Malott said...

I just want to challenge and encourage you.

Bekah said...

Well congratulations on a job well done. Even though I might have said "ICK" out loud. :)