Friday, February 08, 2008

The Compromise


What would it take for me to vote for John McCain?

I still don't know what I will do in November. But there is but one way that McCain would get my vote. If the voice of the conservative movement, whose presence at this time resides primarily in talk radio and conservative blogs... If this voice would unite and scream in unison that we will vote for McCain one time... And one time only... And if this message went forth with the backing of every conservative pundit with a public forum to persuade America that McCain is at best - the lesser of two evils...

Then maybe I could vote for this little man.

I would need to see bumper stickers that said:

1) Elect him... Then Gut Him.

2) One Term John

3) Once John, But Never Again!

4) I'll hold my nose but once, Johnny!

5) McCain in '08, Someone We Respect in 2012

Then maybe I'd vote - knowing the ball would be in McCain's court. He could govern like the anti-conservative homunculus that he has personified over the last eight years, or he could work to secure our vote in '12 by living up to the many promises he has made during the nomination process.

If the voices of conservatism united to threaten this pretender with every caustic means at their disposal... To undercut him every time he swayed from his promises... To make him the ultimate anathema in U.S. presidential history... With the lowest approval ratings... The butt of every joke imagined by his less than loyal voters...

Then maybe. Maybe I'd vote for John-Boy.

That's what it would take.

We are probably doomed to a Clinton or Obama fiasco for four, or God forbid!... eight years... But if the conservative powers that be - unite to send a message... I might be persuaded to vote for the lesser of two evils... But it will have to be an "organized" capitulation... And threat....

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

What if McCain picks Romney as his running mate, instead of that suck-up Huckabee? Would that help you vote for McCain?

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

That would just make me disappointed in Romney.

But I would definitely - pay - to see the look on Huckabee's face when the announcement was made.

Tsofah said...

Seriously, I think we have to have a vice-president we feel is qualified to lead the U.S. as if they were president. Given McCain's age, and other factors, this person could well be the next President of the U.S. should McCain be elected. They might also be a conservative influence on McCain if elected POTUS.

I truly, truly pray it is not one of the Democratic candidates that becomes POTUS. Obama and Hillary scare me equally, just in different ways. SIGH