Monday, January 01, 2007

Holidays' End

Happy New Year. I celebrated by sleeping in this morning until 5 AM. Once again the calendar year changed quite efficiently without my monitoring.

This year the Holidays were pretty lousy for me, and I got a glimpse of my future. Not only did I work the 24th 25th and 26th - which was bad enough - but my mother went into the hospital on Christmas Eve with a mini-stroke. (Her confidence seems a bit shaken, but other than that she is doing fine.) Because of her illness and other ilnesses in the family, there was no family get-together this year... And Christmas just kind of passed by.

There were actually a couple moments there when I was a little depressed and lonely. I clumsily reached out to a couple people - but that only left me feeling a little foolish, depressed, and lonely.

A few years ago I ran into a friend right after Thanksgiving. I knew he had just gotten a divorce, so I asked him what he had done for the holiday. He said he'd washed dishes at a mission in Indianapolis. He said it was one of the best Thanksgivings he'd ever had... and that he'd met a lot of great people who had also volunteered. So... I guess that's what good single people do during the Holidays.

Being single has many blessings. But don't bother trying to explain that to anyone with a spouse and kids - You inevitably come across like someone who is trying to explain to a soccer fan why soccer is boring. I'm sure a happy marriage is wonderful, but I have the freedom to do pretty much anything I want... and that can be kind of nice, too.

The trick is - figuring out what really gives us joy. I think my friend got it right.

Happy New Year.

6 comments:

Bekah said...

Good post, Chris! I am sorry that the unexpected, the working, and the changes in plans made Christmas blah...that's hard. :( I had a case of the blahs last night when I wondered why exactly I was home alone instead of out with friends. Then I remembered that I chose that this year and sometimes being alone and reflecting is good. But sometimes - it just plain hurts. No point in explaining that to some married people either - unless you're up for the "God has a plan" speech.

SkyePuppy said...

Ah, you slept in until "today." I went to some friends' house to play board games (we tried a new one, Princes of Florence, and I really liked it) until 12:30. At home, I putzed around, took care of Abby and the new little puppy (the replacement for the terrorist-dog, Hollywood), then tried to get Blogger to upload my photos for my end-of-year post (my how time flies when you're fighting Blogger). I didn't get to bed until 4:30.

As for loneliness, a person in an unhappy marriage is lonelier than a single person. Those blessings of singlehood really do count for something. As my marriage was falling apart, there was one particular male friend of ours that I couldn't bear to see. It hurt too much that he liked me better than the man who knew me best and was supposed to love me.

I have more to say, but I just noticed the time. I have to meet my friends (one of whom whupped my butt in the game last night) at the movie theater in less time than it will take to get there.

I'm very glad your mom is doing well!

Happy New Year.

Malott said...

Bekah,

When it comes to loneliness and disappointment, I think sometimes singles just need to let it all out - and their married friends need to shut up and listen - just like we do when they constantly complain about their kids and lousy spouses.

You hang in there and keep stubbornly developing your character, self-discipline, and independence - and you'll be well-equipped to handle whatever "God's Plan" is. And there is nothing more attractive than an independent young Christian woman who is developing herself into exactly what she wants to be.

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

In actual time - I believe I got up before you went to bed. It's that wild and crazy Left Coast Lifestyle.

I totally agree with you about the loneliness of a bad marriage.

Bekah said...

Chris - Amen...and thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Mom is doing well.

Nothing else to add other than Skye hit it on the head. Being in a bad marriage is lonely and it hurts. Coming to the realization that the person who vowed to love you, doesn't anymore.

However, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. From your point, Skye and those of us who've lost are lucky.

Grest reflection post, Chris.