Tuesday, July 01, 2008


Doreen's Hair

Doreen was my college girlfriend, a terrific girl, who finally broke up with me because she figured I wasn't going to marry her... And, almost immediately found my replacement... A guy that worked for her local phone company. My last words to Doreen were long distance when I said, "Oh fine... It's every mother's dream that her daughter marries a doctor, a lawyer, or some guy that works for the phone company!" She laughed out loud... Then she hung up.

Classic.

But back to her hair... This is a story that takes place when I visited her at home in in Maryland and she took me to the National Zoo in Washington D.C.

Doreen was of Swedish descent and she had beautiful, and very thick blond hair... Which was always beaten into submission, and under the strictest control. I don't know how else to explain it.


But the day we visited the zoo was a hot, windy, and very humid day... And her hair went wild! Unshackled and unrestrained, her hair became a beautiful, full, unwieldy, sexy sight... And she looked great!

...to me.


I made a big deal of it and told her how great she looked and she thanked me... And I never saw her hair that way again.

I figure it's like this: A woman doesn't care what a guy likes... At least when it comes to her personal appearance... Especially when it's her hair. A woman knows how she wants to look and it's best if the guy just smiles and goes along...

....

8 comments:

Bekah said...

You sure know a lot about hair! And you explain the process well. Beaten into submission makes perfect sense to me. I remember the days of careful hair sculpting. (I kept a couple of hairspray companies in business for a while.) I used to cringe to walk in the wind...it might flatten something! Now I just don't even care. Whatever it does - however it blows. Super. As long as it isn't gray...which right now...it is.

For the record, though, when I had a boyfriend and was contemplating a haircut (a significant one), I did check before cutting. I didn't want him to be upset. I thought he would appreciate the gesture but all I got was a shrug and a "whatever...it's your hair."

Malott said...

Bekster,

It's probably a sign of maturity that you don't fret if every hair isn't in its place... But I've never seen a picture of you when your hair didn't look nice.

Now as to your new haircut - The one on your blog... I really like it, but it makes you look a little dangerous.
:)

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

You have to keep in mind that this was during the Farah Fawcett years, and Doreen had the ability (through much effort and browbeating) to get her hair into fashion. When you complimented her horribly unstylish curls, she probably thought you were just being nice to her in a pitying way and thanked you for your kindness. Then she returned her hair to that era's look of beauty as quickly as she could.

Bekah said...

Obviously I've never posted the Christmas morning pictures. Those are a WEALTH of scary hair. Maybe this year I'll dig some of those out. :)

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

An interesting theory... And I appreciate any woman that works to look her best... But I'm sure I used words like "Dang!" and "Wow!" and "Hot!" and... I'm sure she understood that her new visage lit an enthusiastic fire in me... And she deferred to her own vanity-inspired preference in hair style.

Last week I wore a new celery colored polo shirt to work and our secretary told me how nice I looked.

I have a new favorite shirt.

Women are just different in that way.

Bekah,

These Christmas morning pictures are photos I want to see... I hope you're sporting cowlicks and weird glasses.

Tsofah said...

Don't you know women dress and style their hair and makeup more to impress other women than they do men? Of course they wish to impress the men, too. However, to get a compliment from another woman tends to be more honest and unbiased. It also helps to defer that question of "Does this make my butt look too big?" with "I really can't tell. It would be better to ask (another female friend of the date/wife, etc) as she knows more about this stuff than I do."

smile

Christina said...

I have a little theory about the hair thing...having sported many very different hair styles over my relatively short life-span. Some were good, some were bad, all were done in an effort to look stylish, as defined by other women, since they have very definite opinions and men (seemingly) do not.

As Bekah said, whenever I ask Andrew how he prefers my hair, he always says it doesn't matter to him, whatever I like. Of course, I know that it does matter, but he will not tell me, no matter how I beg. So, although I would like my hair to please my husband, if he has no opinion, then I'm going to style it in something fashionable or easy to care for or in a way that gets compliments from other women, because at least my friends will be honest about whether it is flattering or not.

And just for the record, you were sporting some pretty fantastic hair yourself!

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

Unless your husband is very strange*, which I suspect he's not, he prefers your hair long. As long as you can grow it and have it still look nice.

* I once worked with a woman whose husband wanted her to shave her head. She refused but wore it short as a compromise.