Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Michael J Fox and the Democrats

After working the weekend, I had Monday "off", and listened to the Rush Limbaugh Show. I was listening when he made the infamous comments about Michael J Fox - that he was either "off his medication" - or he was "acting" in the Democrat add about embryonic stem cell research that was played during the World Series.

I knew immediately that Limbaugh's words would come back to haunt him... And evidently he did too, because he spent the rest of the show first apologizing and then justifying his comments.

My take?

Well, now that Mr Fox has turned his disease into a weapon to be used against my Party - and mislead the gullible, I have very little sympathy for Mr Fox. After all, he is obviously first and foremost a Democrat, and we know how these people suffer with their lack of integrity. We've seen these people in action and we know that the end always justifies the means - no matter how disingenuous.

I know Parkinson's is a terrible disease and I doubt that Mr Fox was faking his movements. But my point is: How would we know?

When you place little value on honor and truth, and are focused only on regaining power, regardless of the means employed - your speech and actions must be questioned - and your outrage and self-righteous indignation have a tinny and shallow ring to them.

Mr Fox, I do feel sorry for you. But now that I know you've aligned yourself with Democrats, I neither respect or trust you. You value your health more than you value innocent human life, and so I'm not surprised that you would sink so low as to use pity as a political tool.

9 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Mr. Fox has already admitted that he went off his meds before testifying in Congress about embryonic stem cell research, because he wanted them to see Parkinson's full-force.

So if he'd do it for Congress, why wouldn't he do it to get Democrats elected to Congress?

It strikes me as ghoulish when people with diseases (Michael J. Fox, Christopher Reeve, Nancy Reagan on behalf of her Ronnie) ask society to (create and) kill innocents just so those people can have a better quality of life.

If someone developed a way that Michael J. Fox could be cured of Parkinson's by getting a transplant of his son's brain lining--which would kill his son--would Fox be willing to do that? To me, it's darn near the same thing.

Malott said...

I imagine that if Mr Fox had the option of creating an embryo from his own sperm which could then be "sacrificed" to cure his disease - that he most definitely would.

It's not a child unless you say it is - a non-distinctive distinction.

Anonymous said...

*getting ready to stir the pot*

Not being an American resident, I haven't seen the ad in question, but from what I can glean it wasn't all that sinister. Michael J. Fox isn't being manipulated by the Democratic party, nor is he attempting to manipulate others. I'm of the opinion that, as a seriously ill person, he just really really wants to find a cure. I don't blame him.

To turn this around on Fox and dismiss his position like you have doesn't make any arguments against stem cell research of this kind. You've just criticised the person for speaking their opinion on the subject.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Jacob,

Good to hear from you again. As for manipulation, you need to look at where the ads and visits by Fox are focused. First, in Missouri where control of the Senate may go to the Dems if McCaskill beats Talent. Then in Chicago where the Dems are aggressively looking to pick up a GOP seat (Duckworth vs. Roskam).

If it was not manipulation, Fox could do this next February or any other time.

Just to underline the issue: adult stem cell research has resulted in very promising medical help. Embryonic has not. Both forms of research are legal in the US. The argument is over making the taxpayer pay for research that goes against their moral beliefs.

Anonymous said...

Just to underline the issue: adult stem cell research has resulted in very promising medical help. Embryonic has not. Both forms of research are legal in the US.

Then why doesn't Malott argue this (valid) point, rather than just hurling criticism at Fox?

SkyePuppy said...

Jacob,

You're always ready to stir the pot.

The criticism is not about dismissing Michael J. Fox's opinion. It is about the way Fox misleads people by saying things about embryonic stem cell research in a way that leaves out the word "embryonic." By doing this, he implies that all stem cell research is in the same boat, which is not true.

Adult stem cells are already being used to treat (not experiment on, but treat) over 70 diseases in humans (not rats). But an article earlier this week (sorry, I don't have a link right now, but I'm sure google could find it for you) reported on yet another experiment where embryonic stem cells in Parkinsons rats started to cause tumors.

The other issue, where Fox is busy misleading folks, is that the vote is about taxpayer-funding of the embryonic stem cell research. Right now the private money is going into adult stem cell research, because that's what shows the most promise. Investors aren't willing to throw money into embryonic stem cell research, because it still doesn't show any promise. So the Democrats are trying in Missouri (as they succeeded in California) to get taxpayers--even the ones who object to it morally--to pay researchers to do more embryonic stem cell research.

Michael J. Fox is free to have and express his opinion. But he should not expect to be free from criticism when he expresses himself in a way that distorts the truth.

Anonymous said...

Jacob,

You have such an interesting countenance and physique. I am reminded of the burly lonshoremen with whom my late husband did business, or perhaps our gardener, Juan, I can't decide.

If you're unattached, and should ever wander into Hyannisport, perhaps we could meet for tea and chowder.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes Rose, if there's anything that I should be thankful for it's my perfect bone structure and (if I may say so) my rather fabulous fashion sense. Folks have told me that I could quite easily break into modeling.

Next time I find myself on the east coast, tea and chowder would be a treat.

Anonymous said...

You losers forgot about the campaign ad Michael J. Fox did for Republican Arlen Spectre. It'll be quite a day here at soapbox central when a member of your family gets Parkinsons or Alzheimers.