Monday, October 16, 2006

Gerry Studds RIP

BOSTON (AP) - Former Rep. Gerry Studds, who became the first openly gay member of Congress when his homosexuality was exposed during a teenage page sex scandal, died early Saturday. He was 69.
Studds died at Boston Medical Center several days after he collapsed while walking his dog, his husband said. Doctors determined his loss of consciousness was due to a blood clot in his lung, Dean Hara said.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061014/D8KOI2600.html

I'm not writing this to condemn Mr. Studds - I figure a man who dies with a husband has already done that himself - but I think his situation and the way it was handled by the Dems shines a harsh light on the Democrat's hypocritical stance surrounding the Mark Foley situation, and the Dem's accusations that the Republicans have a morality problem.

In an effort to separate the Republicans from their Evangelical voters, Democrats both in politics and the media have run the Foley story into the ground with wall to wall coverage. This kind of moral outrage was lacking in the Studds case, which involved activity far beyond emails.

And of course last night's 60 minutes featured David Kuo, an Evangelical that worked in the current Administration, who says the religious Right is laughed at in the White House and Christians are being used - that "God and politics had become very much fused together into a sort of a single entity. Where, in a way, politics was the fourth part of the trinity. God the father, God the son, God the holy spirit, God the politician..."

Kuo said, "I think that Christians, particularly evangelical Christians need to take a step back. To have a fast from politics... People are being manipulated."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/14/60minutes/main2089778_page3.shtml

Yes, David. People are being manipulated. And the manipulators want the Religious Right to sit-out this election so that Democrats can take control of Congress.

So the Democrats fear us and the Country Club Republicans laugh at us... I don't care! I'll figure out which candidate is more likely to vote the way I want, and I'll arrive at the polls early on election day.

Oh, and I won't forget that the Democrats gave a pass to... and today are eulogizing a Congressman who sodomized a boy.

4 comments:

janice said...

You echoed my thoughts.
Continued acceptance
of his behavior (with the child) makes me sick.
You said it all Chris, great post!

Anonymous said...

I'm not writing this to condemn Mr. Studds - I figure a man who dies with a husband has already done that himself

Why did you write "RIP" then?

Malott said...

Jacob,

You make a good point. As a Christian, I should say what I believe without pronouncing judgement. It's not always an easy thing to do.

Let me just say: where Mr Studds spends eternity is not my call.

Anonymous said...

Great response Chris.

I pray Jacob and others like him come to the Lords table and accept the gift of salvation, thus embracing the tenets of Christianity