Wednesday, October 11, 2006


Got Carrots?

Now I have never been one to boast or brag about my truly incredible gardening skills. No, that kind self-promotion is for losers who have no life - who sit around at home every Saturday night watching TV and playing computer games - eating frozen dinners - knowing that it's the women who are the real losers here, and I could get a date any time I really... Oh... Excuse me.

Anyway, though some may define greatness by the abundance miraculously brought forth from a small plot of ground - and some may sit in stunned silence as they try to grasp the majesty of the horticultural arts - I let such accolades and praise run off my back like so much rainwater. I tend to remain silent - restrained by my boundless humility. It's just the way I am.

I started harvesting my carrots last night. I should get a total of at least 100 pounds from my raised beds. They keep incredibly well in humid-drawers and my family and I shouldn't have to buy carrots until next summer.

4 comments:

janice said...

You're a man of many talents Chris. I could list them but why encourage pride.
I do beg the question though, should a man be judged by the size of said produce?

Malott said...

Janice,

Better that, in my case, than the content of my character.

My parents swear by the smaller ones, but the bigger carrots are more food with less bother, so I like them.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

I have never heard you boast or brag about your truly incredible gardening skills. No, that kind self-promotion has never passed your lips in my hearing.

At the risk of disrupting your boundless humidity (or was that humility?), I must say the glory of your carrots this year looks like it exceeds last year's stellar crop.

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

I think I thinned them better this year, and that made the difference.

Dare I say that I grow carrots as well as you write?
...probably not.