Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Strong Women

I've never felt threatened by strong women. Incompetent women frighten me a little... And women on cell phones that almost drive me off the road give me a distinct pain... But strong women are OK. In fact,... Strong women are generally the only ones that are attracted to me, not being intimidated by my strengths or put off by my weaknesses.

I believe the selection of Sarah Palin will teach us a lot about ourselves. We'll have to confront the knee-jerk prejudice we all have - both men and women - against women.

It's especially interesting for us Evangelical Christians who hold that - while Palin may lead our country - she must not be head of her home, or a preacher in her church.

We are already learning how ugly the Far Left is. We are learning about paybacks after the vetting of Jeremiah Wright, Tony Rezko, and William Ayers... And that teenage girls are legitimate targets. We are learning what happens when the supposed inevitable is threatened... by a strong woman.

We are learning that inexperience is much more acute and crippling when it travels in pumps rather than wingtips.

So much to learn and so little time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. You must not have seen video of Obama today saying that candidates' children are "off limits" and that he will fire anyone in his campaign who makes an issue out of Palin's daughter's pregnancy. He reminded people that his mother was 18 when she had him. It was a fine and sincere statement.
You must be kidding about the head of the household comment. If you don't think that she isn't the head of the Palin household you are really deluding yourself. You are right when you say that you have much to learn. This must be a real jolt for you guys. I'd love to have heard what you said about Hillary; did she inspire the same rush to knowledge?

Malott said...

I saw Obama's comments and I approved.

But I'm sure you'll agree that if Biden's son had a girlfriend in the "family way"... we'd know nothing of it... Once again a reflection of our prejudice.

And, Mr Palin is a very strong man. I would imagine that he and the Mrs have worked out their individual responsibilities in their home and keep their careers separate.

To Conservatives, race and sex are not an issue. Remember the "Draft Condi Rice" movement of several months ago.

I couldn't support Hillary because of her politics. Her sex along with Obama's race are peripheral and insignificant to me. Sometimes "historic things" must take a backseat to more practical matters.