Thursday, March 27, 2008


Frances Jane Crosby

Warning: This is yet another "When I was a little boy story."

When I was a little boy - sitting bored in Church - I played a game in which I went from page to page in the hymnal looking for the songs whose lyrics were penned by Fanny J Crosby. I never had to turn many pages to find one.

Fanny Cros­by was prob­ab­ly the most pro­lif­ic hymn­ist in his­to­ry. Though blind­ed by an in­com­pe­tent doc­tor at six weeks of age, she wrote over 8,000 hymns. About her blind­ness, she said:

"It seemed in­tend­ed by the bless­ed prov­i­dence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dis­pen­sa­tion. If per­fect earth­ly sight were of­fered me to­mor­row I would not ac­cept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been dis­tract­ed by the beau­ti­ful and in­ter­est­ing things about me."

In her life­time, Fan­ny Cros­by was one of the best known wo­men in the Unit­ed States. To this day, the vast ma­jor­i­ty of Amer­i­can hymn­als con­tain her work.

This past Monday was her birthday - she turned 188 years old. I meant to send her a card.
::::::::::::::::::
My favorite:
All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Oh, you should have sent a card! One that you made yourself. She would have enjoyed it.

When I was little (really little) I couldn't stand and hold the hymnal because it was too heavy to hold and I was too short to rest it on the pew in front of me. But my parents insisted that I learn to stand and sing and behave like an adult - so they found me a little red (our hymnals were red) paper songbook. Who knows what was in it...but I took that thing to church every Sunday and it was my "hymnal." I didn't actually need the words, because they'd raised me to know those.

And now I have a deep appreciation for hymns and genuinely miss singing them (except for scattered occasions) in church. Fanny wrote some really great ones - and I have much to learn from her outlook on life. Much.

Tsofah said...

Malott:

Way kewl info to know!

While I appreciate your intent, I have to ask: Just how do you think you would have been able to deliver that card? Put it on a helium balloon and release it into the air? (smile)