Sunday, January 27, 2008

An Unwanted Child

January is the month of Roe vs. Wade, and for the past two years I've posted "Reaching for Mom" from my "Best Of" Section.

It's the story of the little girl that I took to Church and babysat for two years... The one I thought I would one day adopt. She was conceived out of wedlock in the Philippines, where certain of the mother's family members pressured her to have an abortion. One uncle dragged her down the stairs, perhaps attempting to induce a miscarriage.

But Mom did the right thing.

It's easy to talk about fetuses... It's easy to forget little lives ended.

It's even easy to be unmoved by good choices made and babies saved.

But I have a scanner now... And sometimes pictures drive home the point...










And our hero... The stubborn young woman that turned a mistake into something special...


I still, on occasion, work with the child's grandmother.

Recently she slipped me the current school picture... Of this unplanned... Unwanted child.


Such blessings should never be whisked away...

4 comments:

janice said...

What a beautiful young woman and child who's become a beautiful young lady.

I hope they're doing well and that they think fondly of you.

Christina said...

Wow, how quickly she grew! I can't believe the changes in just a few short years.

And by the way, don't discount the influence of those like yourself who help(ed) make life easier for the young mother and child who made the difficult choice.

They will never forget.

Bekah said...

I agree with Janice - she is absolutely beautiful! I love that Reaching for Mom post, and this just makes it even better - getting to see both of them.

Tsofah said...

Absolutely breathtaking! She looks like the type of person who is as beautiful inwardly as she is outwardly.

And to think, Chris, that you had something to do with the early shaping of the young lady she would become. Wow.