Sunday, January 20, 2008

Our Shallow Generation

Just finished watching Out of Africa for the umpteenth time, and as always, I'm left longing for something I'll never see.

The industrial age blessed us in so many ways... But like Unions - and my sense of humor - it went too far.

The biggest change in our culture since the 19th century has to be the disappearance of the once iconic honor, and the loss of contemplation. We are so busy and so entertained that we have lost our vocabulary, conversational skills, our depth, and most of our cultural charm... And our children will have even less of these treasures.

Godless, graceless, and vulgar is no way to venture through life... Even our humor is no longer mirth, but a soured and decayed kind of cynicism.

Early 20th Century colonial Africa... Was 19th Century Europe in many ways... At least for the Europeans there. If you haven't seen the movie... And can stomach Streep and Redford... You have the opportunity to be transported back to another age with a different pace and values... For two hours.

You won't want to come back.

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie. Maybe I'll have to sit down and watch all of it sometime (I'll try to stomach Streep and Redford). I'm afraid, though, that I'll be left longing, something that doesn't fit well in the midst of all my indecision lately.

On another note, your description of our humor as a soured and decayed kind of cynicism hits home. I reached young adulthood with that kind of humor: It didn't count unless my comic blade drew a little blood. God slowly took my sword away and gave me laughter filled with joy instead, and I'm a much better person for it.

Still, it hurts a little when I hear my old kind of humor coming from a young person. Was I that harsh? I suppose so. And the weapon was really a ruse to hide so much pain. My heart aches for the pain I see in so many people.

I guess I don't need to see the movie, just read about it, to be left longing...

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

Well said.

But when you are settled in your decisions, you should rent this movie. Its subtleties would not be wasted on a person such as yourself.