Friday, March 20, 2009

Uriah Heep and The Democrats

In my last post Chuck asked how Uriah Heep figured in... He may have been thinking of the 70's rock group.

Uriah Heep was the disingenuous and sleazy villain in Charles Dickens' David Copperfield. He worked for the venerable old Mr Wickfield.

Heep facilitated Wickfield's drinking and pandered to his other weaknesses until Mr Wickfield was all but destroyed.

I believe that pretty much sums up the liberal's relationship with the poor.

....

1 comment:

ChuckL said...

Ahhh... I feel all the more "literarily" challenged now. However, I do not think that David Copperfield was one of my assigned Dickens book in public school. Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, and A Tale of Two Cities are what I recall. And I do recall Uriah Heep the rock group.

So, thank you for making the connection clear. As it stands, I ran across just today a Benjamin Franklin saying that is not used much these days: "I think that the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." - On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, 29 November 1766.