Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions for the Day

#10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

#8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

#7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

#5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

....

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

He was an amazing man of God, and his resolutions make the traditional "Lose 10 pounds" look pathetic.

Thanks for the reminder. I could use these myself...