Monday, June 12, 2006

The Left Whines About Ann Coulter... Again


David Carr writes in the New York Times:
"Godless," which is already doing gangbuster business according to the folks at Barnes & Noble, suggests that liberalism "is the doctrine that prompts otherwise seemingly sane people to propose teaching children how to masturbate, allowing gays to marry, releasing murderers from prison, and teaching children that they share a common ancestor with the earthworm."

Does she believe any of this stuff? I doubt she even knows. When I profiled Ms. Coulter a few years ago, I never figured out the line between her art and her artifice.

Her sincerity is beside the point as long as people keep taking the bait. All manner of televised talkfests, including "Today," welcome Ms. Coulter's pirate sensibilities back aboard whenever she has something to peddle, in part because seeing hate-speech pop out of a blonde who knows her way around a black cocktail dress makes for compelling viewing.

Without the total package, Ms. Coulter would be just one more nut living in Mom's basement. You can accuse her of cynicism all you want, but the fact that she is one of the leading political writers of our age says something about the rest of us.

Yes, Mr Carr, it suggests that there is a need for balance, a void which is being filled with the writings of Miss C. It suggests that there are people who reject what you evacuate and call truth, and appreciate a voice that boldly calls a spade... a spade.

Carr accuses Coulter of being a bomb thrower because like most liberals he prefers his Conservatives as whining, apologetic, simpering wussies... Well, anything "ineffective" would suit. Just imagine the kissing-up sycophancy of Dick Lugar, merged with the luke-warm "fire" of Bill Frist, mingled with the disloyal machinations of John McCain, and you have a "Conservative" that Liberals like Carr can live with.

Does the Left have bomb-throwers? Oh yes, and they're easy to spot. Just look for the guys on the Judiciary Committee with the "D" by their name.

9 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Great post, Chris!

But next time, how about telling us what you really think!

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

Thanks.

And you're right, I really shouldn't hold back like that.

Christina said...

Chris,

While I understand Coulter's ultimate point, I do happen to think that she might have gone a little too far this time. I don't believe that any of the widows wished for their husbands to die in such a horrific manner or are happy about their loss. I do think that they were first taken advantage of, and then allowed themselves to be used by the left-leaners with an anti-Bush-at-any-cost agenda.

So I guess if I were to be the "flame-thrower" here, I'd be claiming that the anti-Bush crowd are the ones who are "gleeful" over the deaths of these womens' husbands (and all the other men and women who died that day). They are the ones who have the most for which to be ashamed.

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

Not only do the Democrats think Ann Coulter is the devil, half of the Republicans think she is too.

Pity.

I really enjoy the fact that she says the kind of things I'm either too nice or too intimidated (or too un-clever) to say.

Malott said...

Christina,

I think your last paragraph made a lot of sense.

Skyepuppy,

In some ways you're much more clever than Ann.

janice said...

I ordered the book and can't wait to read the balance of the book not focused on by the MSM and democats. I agree with her point that people like the Jersey girls, Cindy, and the limbless congressman who delivered the letter to the prez during the momma moonbat campout last summer. Victim or not, actions come with consequences. These folks are put out there with a message, and we aren't allowed to respond to them because of their victim status. They're untouchable no matter what their message? Bull, I'm with Ann, don't use these "victims" to shield you and your message from attack.
Christina,
I also ordered Melanie Phillips, Londonstan. Another must read.

janice said...

If I seem harsh I'm blaming the meds I'm on. I just completed a 3 week series of lumbar spinal injections. I should be back to "normal" in 7 to 10 days. Please bare with me.

Malott said...

Janice,

You don't sound at all harsh.

I don't think Ann is belittling what happened in the Jersey Girls' lives... she is taking issue with the way they have "used" their time of mourning.

I'm sorry to hear about your lower back troubles. You're now on my prayer list.

janice said...

Thank you Chris for putting in your prayers and lifting me up.
Being limited in my news gathering, I had my fill of Ann bashing, and my mind was way ahead of my "fingers" and it didn't translate. My thoughts were harsh and in total defense of Ms. Coulter. At this point I'm sticking to blaming the meds and taking ZERO responsibility for my lack of clarity, just like a liberal "victim".