Thursday, December 08, 2005

The White House Christmas Card

With certain impeachment pending, I ran to my bookshelves and retrieved the President's card with the two dogs and one cat sitting in the snow on the White House lawn. I feverishly searched for a "Christmas" message and found none.

But inside under the Presidential Seal were these words:

The Lord is my strength and my shield;
In him my heart trusts;
So I am helped and my heart exults,
And with my song I give him thanks.
Psalm 28:7 (RSV)

With derisive glee the MSM have been jumping about rejoicing that certain conservative Christian leaders have voiced disapproval over the official White House Christmas Card, in that it fails to include the word "Christmas." These same journalists would have complained if "Christmas" had been included, which I'm sure they would have preferred, but this was the only negative spin available so they instinctively and naturally pounced.

I would have preferred a Christmas message. But having the President of the world's only superpower send out the message that the God of Abraham is his strength and his shield is kind of special in itself. It may not be Christmassy... but I'll take it.

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

You're right on the money. The White House Christmas card has a Bible verse that speaks to both Christians and Jews alike during this season of God's miraculous provision (both Christmas and Hannukah).

I know Christians have been fighting to save the word "Christmas" in the public square, but President Bush did the right thing in having a message that could speak to all people of faith.