Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Poor Hollywood

Try to control your grief as you read this snippet from Breibart.com:

Even a much-hyped giant gorilla, a geisha and a schoolboy magician won't be able to create a happy ending at the US box office, as Hollywood ends its most disappointing year in nearly two decades. Plunging movie ticket sales, after a string of uninspiring remakes and movie sequels coupled with an explosion of the DVD and video game markets, are keeping audiences at home and have sent Hollywood into a deep existential crisis.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/13/051213173239.bo5ciosh.html

I've taken a stand in my humble life... I will not use the phrase, "well duh..." no matter how appropriate the occasion. These financial difficulties that Hollywood faces are self-inflicted and due to their stubborn, narcissistic, and arrogant belief that they know what is good for us. I believe Hollywood makes movies for Hollywood... caring more about mutual sycophancy than public praise or box office receipts. So be it, and their red ink. Did it feel good to say all this? Oh yes... yes it did.

They could fix this with more family-friendly movies... more Church-friendly movies... but they won't. They've taken a stand, too.

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

I believe Hollywood makes movies for Hollywood

Too right!

I was a Drama major my first year of college, and it gave me a lasting perspective on Hollywood and its wannabes. There's an emptiness they need to fill, and what they try to fill it with is the respect of their peers.

One time, many years after my Drama stint, a guy at my work (I didn't really know him) brought some of his fellow cast members from a play he was in and showed them around work. His friends mocked the place with a caustic edge to their humor that I recognized as having once been mine. It was fed by a need for approval for their cleverness and wit, a need that would never be completely satisfied.

Hollywood is self-feeding. It's not so much an echo-chamber as it is a place of perpetual emotional cannibalism. The movies Hollywood makes and the awards it gives will reflect the emotional need, which is infinitely stronger than the need for cash.