Friday, December 02, 2005

Bachelors Die Young

I don't take credit in life for very many things, inasmuch as I've done little of note, and many of the things I have done I'd like to forget. But I do take credit for the following brilliant saying:

"Bachelors die young, and old maids live forever."

So you see, my life has not been wasted.

Is the saying perfect? ...No. "Forever" is an exageration that doesn't fit and "old maid" is insulting to many mature unmarried women whom I have known and admired. But other than that... its brilliant!

The saying falls into the same category as certain other immutable truths like, "Jesus saves", "it takes one to know one", and "they call a doctor's business a practice for good reason." But its "bachelors die young" that particularly interests me.

I will turn 52 in January and I am amazed at times that I have remained single lo these many years. That wasn't my plan. I'm not gay. (not a "nancy-boy," as we say in Greentown) No, I have met and dated many females (of my species) who have stirred my heart and yet... here I am... facing an imminent and lonely death with no gold band on my ring finger. How did this happen?

I've been told I'm too picky. Nonsense! Plain Janes in my past abound. Abound, I tell you! But it brings up an interesting point. Women complain that men are only interested in a pretty face and a nice body. But this phenomenon is no more common or relevant than the occurences of women who choose or reject men based on the amount of their income... especially the second time around. So for every man who is a pig looking for "Barbie," there is a woman who is strictly mercenary.

And I? ...I look into a woman's soul. At least for awhile.

Does it hurt that women find me unattractive? Does it pain me that I am the kind of man that women prefer not to marry? Well... certainly not as much as it used to.

As I rapidly approach the last great precipice I note that my values have changed. When I was young I valued fast women, fast cars, and fast food. My values now are Jesus, mutual funds, and roughage. (Actually, I'm so regular that it sometimes frightens me, but here I try to relate to the bowels of lesser men) Its not that I'm no longer looking for a soft bosom on which to lay my head, (that certainly inspires an image, doesn't it?) but my search for said bosom in no way resembles the almost mythically heroic juggernaut that possesses men in their youth. And, more to my point here, God in his infinite wisdom and mercy has provided a way that single, childless men may avoid rusting away in a nursing home with no visitors. And here it is:

Through bad diet, lack of familial responsibilty or purpose, or the simple lack of stimulation to the immune system that intimacy affords... bachelors die young.

Am I wringing my hands over my sad fate? Not me! I pace, instead. I also have arguments alone in my house (while pacing) with people who have ticked me off. (I do both parts) And, my friend, these are arguments I almost always win. But this is not germane to the discussion.

In the immortal words of that great American writer, Kurt Vonnegut, in his beloved "Cat's Cradle", in his inimitable style, (try saying inimitable before your first cup of coffee...) Vonnegut writes:

"We do doodily do,
What we must, muddily must,
Muddily do, muddily do,
Till we bust, bodily bust."

Bachelors bust early. Bachelors die young.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is your overactive salivary glands. Uncontrolled drooling is offensive to some women. There is surgery for that, you know.

I enjoyed your post. B.D.Y. may be your finest hour.

Malott said...

Mary,
So you picked up on the drooling thing...

Actually I'm going to buy a portable dental suction device. (like the one at the dentist's office) I think they make head-gear to hold it in place.

...Anything to make me more attractive to women.

Anonymous said...

There are alot more men (little boys) looking for Barbie then there are mercenery women.

Anonymous said...

I have a great-uncle in Littleton, New Hampshire.
Never Married.
91 years old.

So maybe you'll be blogging for a while longer.

I like your site, though this post is a little different.

Bryan Alexander said...

Very clever.

SkyePuppy said...

You said, "here I am... facing an imminent and lonely death"

Do you say "imminent" in a specific, concrete manner? Or in a loose, general, statistical way?

As for the pacing, I don't do that. I drive too much of the day to have time for pacing. And your brilliant saying has condemned me to do it forever (or maybe only half of forever, since I'm not really an old maid but divorced). I do my arguing with "the others" in my car.

Thanks for the Vonnegut. I needed that today.

Malott said...

Actually, except for a little tendonitis in my left Achilles tendon, I'm in good health. But where is the drama there?

And having been married you definitely do not qualify as an O.M. But please do not use this as license to move on. I would miss your blog page.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog; just found it. Now quit it. The secret to love is simple: devote the rest of your life to someone other than yourself. With all your past successes, there have to be several who qualify. I went through a few myself; I was about your age when the truth suddenly hit me.
Fixing screen doors, raking leaves, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner, having the same conversation again, a nice clean home to come home to (I'm a long-haul trucker), a warm welcome, someone who cares about the tendinitis in my (right) wrist, even someone to argue with, is all good and as God intends.
Blogging is narcissism (sp?).
Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

Malott said...

Sage words, I'm sure.

Thanks for visiting, Anonymous... and Merry Christmas.