Sunday, August 30, 2009

Amazing Knowledge for September

I recently had a conversation with the ignorant women I work with about television sitcoms. I decided to impart to them a bit of knowledge from my vast personal stores.

I opened my mouth and spake unto them, saying, "Did you know that sitcoms are recorded in two different ways?"

They looked back at me as if I was speaking Chinese, a vacant look to which I've grown accustomed.

But for their sake I patiently continued by explaining that sitcoms were recorded on either film or videotape. With video tape, everything in the picture is in focus and has the look of live TV, like newscasts. Soaps are recorded in this format.

Film has a different look. In filmed sitcoms, the action is in focus and the background is not.

Videotaped sitcoms include The Cosby Show, All in the Family, Three's Company.

Filmed sitcoms include Mary Tyler Moore, Seinfeld, Mash.

Newhart (Vermont Inn Newhart) started out on video tape, but later switched to film.

You may be able to visualize scenes from these programs and note the distinct difference.

Skyepuppy's son probably knows all about this... He may know more than... even I.

Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to report back and demonstrate the ability discern the difference between video taped sitcoms, and those that are filmed...

And remember, I'm always here to help you enrich your life with Amazing Knowledge.

....

8 comments:

Bekah said...

I probably shouldn't have read this before Sunday School. Everyone will be intelligently discussing 1 John, and I'll be quoting lines from said sitcoms, as I recall the scenes. I better be careful. Some quotes - primarily the Seinfeld ones - are best NOT vocalized in Sunday School.

Grammy said...

Had no idea...but then I'm one of those women you've worked with. I'll be on the lookout!

Tsofah said...

Film vs. videotape...interesting! I never knew.

I wonder if there is a discernable difference in film, videotape, and DVD?

SkyePuppy said...

I hadn't ever thought about it in terms of focus, but I've always noticed that videotaped shows look cheap.

Malott said...

I've always figured it's both cheaper and requires less skill to record on tape.

I mean, I can use a video tape recorder. But I figure filming takes artistic talent and expertise.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that if you don't know about something you are automatically ignorant!

Mr. Obvious said...

Dear anonymous,

I can't believe we're actually having this conversation.

You said: "I didn't realize that if you don't know about something you are automatically ignorant!"

First of all, you are reading something into the original post that is not there. Malott did not say the women he works with are ignorant because they do not know this particular piece of information. Rather, he described them generally as ignorant. That general trait was not specifically linked to an absence of knowledge about film vs. videotape recordings.

Secondly, not to suggest your own ignorance in the use of terminology, but the actual definition of the word ignorant is as follows: "destitute of knowledge or education; lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified; resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence."

Therefore, to borrow from your post, by the very definition of the word, "if you don't know about something you are automatically ignorant" on that issue.

Finally, it looks to me like you are attempting to take what was intended as a humorous piece and blow it way out of proportion. I would suggest you lighten up a bit.

Tsofah said...

I agree with Mr. Obvious...