Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Visitor, a Surprise

I was wrapping things up at work today when Grandma Lita came into the lab and said, "Chris, look who I brought with me today."

And there she was. A beautiful young lady stood there smiling... And it was hard to reconcile this lovely image with the tiny one I used to carry on my shoulders. I started blathering about what a fun little girl she was when I knew her... Told a story or two... And she just smiled.

I told her what a funny and smart little girl she was when she was little... And she said, "Well I'm pretty smart now!"

Poised and friendly.

On the drive home I thought about what might have been. But I've done enough of that. I just wish I would have given her a hug... It probably would have been OK.


5 comments:

Tsofah said...

Oh Chris! I am SO GLAD you got to see her again! Just think, your input in her life as a toddler has helped mold her into what appears to be a self-assured and poised young tween.

What an awesome uncle you must be as well!

Christina said...

She has really become a lovely young lady. It's hard to reconcile the little girl I remember with this pretty teen.

And yes, I think a hug would have been fine. But don't beat yourself up over it. You were there at another time in her life when the hugs mattered...and you made a difference.

You're a good man.

Grammy said...

How sweet is this??? And Christina's right...you were there when the hugs mattered most.

janice said...

Christina said it all, "you're a good man", Chris.

Heiwigs of Westfield said...

The said visitor informed me yesterday how funny you were when she came with her grandma to work. She told me this after I mentioned that you had asked to be my friend on fb. She exuberantly said that I should add you because you were nice and funny. She remembered quite a bit of your conversation with her. I told her to add you but she does not like to ask people to be her friend. She is on fb too and you should ask her to be your friend.