Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Can't Feel At Home In This Church Anymore

Yes, I know. The lyrics to the old gospel song are "I can't feel at home in this world anymore." But I would argue that today's Church, at least in this country, is becoming very much like the world.

Back in the 60's the Church sensed that the young people were slipping away... (I suppose because the boys' hair was getting longer)... And the Church snapped into action. Their idea was to compete with the world for the hearts of the young people by catering to the young... By honoring the young... Just like the world.

Would the youth have been better served if they had been taught God's way... To honor the older people in the Church and cater to them? Yes, but that would have involved trusting the Holy Spirit to move in the young peoples' hearts, (that trick never works) and He sometimes has a different time table than ours.

When I was a boy the Elders in our Church were men in their 50's, 60's, and older... And they never retired... (They died). Today many are in their 30's and 40's, and instead of leading, they follow the dictates of the hired preacher. (Not terribly Biblical)

My parents, who are in their 80's, loyally attend their Church where they are weekly subjected to a group of frustrated rockers who play modern music - obnoxiously loud - and poorly - but the "performers" do manage to get the attention they so desperately need. The congregational singing that my mother loved... Gone. (Gone also is 1/3 of the attendance since the format changed.) My parents still get attention and respect... Every time the Church needs their money.

My Church's "final solution" was to stick all the old people in an 8AM service... And there we sing hymns (Everyone sings), pray, and worship the way our grandparents - and their grandparents - did.

I believe the American Church continues to become more like the world every day - being influenced by the world much more than it influences the world. But there will still always be pockets of the faithful who seek Him... A Church within the church. And that is a long held tradition that will never change.

4 comments:

Jacob said...

Maybe this is a sign that you need to get a new hobby.

janice said...

Society today hold "children" up and lead them to believe their special. Narcissism is the new church, their parents worship at their feet and these children aren't taught respect.

Great post Chris

Bekah said...

Chris, I love this post and agree with you. When I was "church shopping" a few years back, I wanted a church that not only had solid teaching, but a good mix of ages and music styles. Though I had my years of music rebellion...when I wanted to never hear another hymn...I've since grown to have a deep love for those songs. (Although I have to tell you that the verse in Come Thou Fount that talks about the ebenezer is still not one of my faves.)

ANYWAY, I think we have absolutely lost our respect (the general whole, not you or me personally) for the older crowdm and they have so much wisdom to offer. They should in no way be pushed aside into "their own service" or viewed as an estate in waiting.

But then that gets me on my entire soapbox of the lack of respect in people my own age and down - and you do not have time for that rampage. I guarantee you.

SkyePuppy said...

Hmmm...

Over the past 20 years (Holy cow, have I been going there that long?), my church did many of the same things yours did. But I don't sense the same issues that you seem to observe.

We used to have hymns in both services when I started attending, and then after they hired the new minister, they changed the second service to contemporary music, and my widow-lady friends moved to the first service. I missed them, and I missed some of the hymns (like Come Thou Fount, especially the last verse--our hymnal left out the ebenezer verse), so I made sure to pop into their Sunday School class for a hug every week (and I bought a copy of our hymnal from the Christian bookstore to have at home).

I think the reason our "Seasoned" Christians don't feel abandoned is that we hired the retired senior minister as the minister to seniors, and he keeps them busy. That's easier to do with a bigger church. And also, the elders board promised them there would always be a traditional service for them.

We never had a problem with showboating musicians, maybe because ours are mostly in their 40s and are content to stand way in the back and try to blend in.

I love the old hymns, except for the namby-pamby, doctrine-lite ones that don't even have a nice tune to redeem them (like, O How I Love Jesus). And I love the contemporary songs (like Chris Tomlin's How Great Is Our God and Agnus Dei, which they hardly play anymore). Except I don't like the ones that have no melody (like, Rock of Ages (Jesus is the Rock) and that Victory Chant--ugh!).

The change in formats has been good for our church. With the newer music, we've attracted a lot of younger Marine families, who have found a home away from home. At the same time, the traditional service continues to bring new people of a wide range of ages into the church.

It's such a shame when a church starts writing off segments of the congregation, whether it's sending its old people off to pasture or telling its young people there's no place for them yet. Doing that at either end of the spectrum is wrong.