Monday, December 15, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake

The auto bailout bill, which passed the House in a 237-170 vote on Wednesday, was defeated in a 52-35 procedural vote in the Senate late Thursday night after negotiations between automakers, the UAW, and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) fell apart.

“As far as the failure of last night, it solely lies on UAW,” Coburn told CNSNews.com. “All we asked was, ‘Just give us a date at which you will have competitive wage rates. We will put it in and that’s what you will have to meet.’ They would not move. They would not renegotiate their contract with GM as far as wage rates.”

Coburn was referring to an amendment crafted by Corker that would have required the auto makers to reduce their labor costs to a level equal to the salaries paid by non-unionized foreign auto companies operating in the United States, firms such as Nissan, Toyota and Honda.

Yes, I am shocked that the United Auto Workers would rather take my money than lower their wages and make the Big 3 competitive.

I heard on The Peter Heck Show that the Big 3 auto workers make, counting benefits, 70+ dollars per hour, while Americans working in Toyota, Nissan and other non-unionized American auto plants make 40 dollars per hour.

So I'm wondering how I'm going to work up some compassion, and support a bailout, so that the UAW guys can continue making more money than I make.

My job, that required four years of college, pays (I figure) close to what the Toyota and Nissan guys make, maybe a little more... Or possibly less. Over the years, the hospital where I work has cut certain benefits and done its best to keep our wages at a rate that allows us to remain in the black. We have no union and our hospital competes for customers, and professional and unskilled workers, with hospitals and businesses around us.

I don't know what the answer is for the Big 3. But I know they can't compete while paying what they pay their workers. If the UAW continues its irrational stance, then bankruptcy will certainly follow at some point, and I do not see the logic of prolonging the idiocy by strapping our taxpayers with a bailout.

....

7 comments:

Tsofah said...

Sigh. Makes you wonder just why Ford, Chrysler, and GM are in financial trouble, doesn't it?

One would think a job at a smaller salary would be better than unemployment at a massively smaller check. (shakes head)

Maybe the employees should fire the UAW.

Malott said...

Tsofah,

I'd be happy if they would just allow a vote!

Malott said...

My mother is a retired UAW worker and in all her years never voted to strike - not once - and was always over-ruled by her fellow workers. She does not support the bailout. She will take what comes.

janice said...

My father is a retired union steel worker. From a very young age I realized without the union my father (with his awful attitude and disposition) would have been out of a job.

For 42 years that company had to put up with my father's (and his co-workers) hostility and inflexability towards management and the company in general.

When many of them were forced to retire due to chapter 11, benefits and pensions were reduced, he couldn't understand why? And I thought to myself, well for 40+ years you guys did NOTHING to help the company prosper and survive.

Grammy said...

Janice - Thanks for that brutally honest assessment. The natural order of prosperity is for employers to be compelled to compete for good employees and to compensate them with money, job security and benefits in proportion to their skill, initiative and talent. Unions take the proportionality out of the equation. They are the key to enabling people to get compensated more than they can justify by means of skill, initiative and talent. It's a system that just doesn't work.

janice said...

You said it much better than I did Grammy.

Malott said...

Grammy,

You said it better than I did, too.

Cut it out.