Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cook Your Own Food

Malott's Blog has recently uncovered troubling data concerning the restaurant industry... Data, we believe, that has been suppressed and purposely ignored by the mainstream media... Who no doubt own stock in this industry.

According to a recent, shocking survey, less than 10% of restaurant workers wash their hands... After using the restroom... Wiping their noses.. Or scratching themselves in their nether regions. This number falls to a disappointing 4% in the fast food portion of the industry.

Disturbing revelations? To be sure.

Leading scientists explain that after pinching dooky, fecal bacteria and epithelial skin cells adhere to the hands and hide under fingernails... Only to fall into an unsuspecting salad, an innocent roast, or those little chicken things that you dip in sauce. It is believed that 97% of all leading scientists now avoid restaurants entirely.

I simply can't remember the last time I sat down in a restaurant... And a man in a lab coat and Hushpuppies was seated at the table next to mine. A coincidence? I don't think so.

The entire staff at Malott's Blog strongly encourages its readers to cook their own food and eat it at home... Before it's too late.

All data and situations described above are fabricated, except for the poo-under-the-nails thing which we think is accurate. Stating that leading scientists wear Hushpuppies was an unfortunate reference that reinforces an unfair stereotype for which the entire staff at Malott's Blog apologizes and deeply regrets having made. All persons described above are fictitious and are not representative of any persons alive, dead, or otherwise employed. No animals were injured during the writing of this post.
Bon appetit'.

8 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Just so you know...

My thanks for your posts are not universal.

Good thing my mom & I cook most of our meals at "home." Except for the pizza we ordered the other day, but I think the oven burned up any undesirable germs.

Have a nice day. I hope you bring your lunch to work.

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

A few years ago the cafeteria at the hospital in which I work - in an effort to be pro-active in its cleanliness - asked our lab to check some of its equipment for bacteria. Our microbiologist took cultures, including one on the food processor that sliced vegetables. The food processor swab was plated and yielded an amazingly high colony count of Staph epidermitis and other reasonably benign bacteria. The cafeteria supervisor was shocked.

She said they would take care of it - and we have received no further requests for our investigative skills.

Ignorance = bliss.

Malott said...

I probably should mention that Staph epi is harmless and is a part of everyone's body flora...

Even after washing your hands, if you touched blood agar, the incubated plate would probably produce a few colonies of Staph epi.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

In spite of my wife's intense training (she has a degree in Home Economics and her food services certification) we still go out to eat with more than full knowledge of the risks.

I guess we have to consider it Marine training for our immune system.

janice said...

I appreciate the effort and investigative skills involved in this post.

Once we became debt free, (everything 'cept the house, thank you Dave Ramsey), we can afford a small luxury every so often. We do eat at home and I cook every night with the exception of a new Friday Pizza Night. However, once the entree arrives I put the slices we're going to devour in the oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp the bottom. I, like Skye, believe the bacteria is eliminated.

I've had a germ phobia passed on from my mother, to which I've since leveled out. That said, my restaurant eating has been very limited.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Just for added instruction in this area, one who is cooking food should always start by washing their hands under hot water with soap for the length of time it takes to sing 'Happy Birthday' (either aloud or in their head).

That is free.

SkyePuppy said...

AICS,

A practical question: If you've got soap on your hands, and you stick them under hot running water for the time of Happy Birthday, won't the soap be gone long before the song is over? How does that help? And if you rub the soap all over your hands for the time of the song, and then run them under water, you don't get the benefits of hot water. How does this work? How do you keep soap AND hot water on your hands for the entirety of Happy Birthday???

Tsofah said...

Malott:

Are you trying to scare us for Halloween??? :-)

Ah, germs and the restaurant industry! As many fast food meals as this generation has had, I figure we are probably immune to most germs we would encounter by now.

But, hey, it's a nice thought to think about as I am eating my lunch.... (EEyyyyeewwww!)