Monday, October 15, 2007

Jury Duty

I'm thinking about going to law school.

Yesterday I sat on a jury in a trial over the possession of marijuana in the amount that constituted a Class D. felony. At the end of the proceedings the defense attorney pulled my name from a box and I was pronounced the "alternate."

I can't tell you how hard it was to keep my mouth shut as my fellow jurors discussed the case, and subsequently found the man guilty.

Anyway, the public defender was poor... And I honestly believe that I could have gotten the guy off.

A local man unhappy with the results of his trial attempted to escape police custody by breaking through a glass door at the Howard County Courthouse Monday afternoon.

Multiple Tasers were fired by security officers Mark Clark and Sonya Tsakonas as they attempted to apprehend King.

“Mr. King was apparently unhappy with his representation and the fact that he was remanded into custody of the Howard County Sheriff’s Department,” (Sherriff) Talbert said.

The possession of marijuana charge King was originally convicted of carries a presumptive sentence of 18 months. He now faces additional charges of escape, a Class C felony; resisting law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor; and criminal mischief, a Class A misdemeanor.


Maybe it was for the best.

5 comments:

Bekah said...

My goodness! I think you're right - maybe it was for the best.

So far (this will probably jinx me) the only time I've ever been up for duty was when I was in college and I couldn't go. My dad has always wanted to be called for jury duty. I told him if my turn comes around again, he can have it. :)

Christina said...

And to think you were worried...

You know, Andrew and I both were wondering how things went last night. Now we know.

Did you actually witness the escape attempt?

Malott said...

Bekah,

I think you'd make a fine juror... And I wish there was a way to volunteer for jury duty so that your dad could have the experience... I know he would enjoy it.

Christina,

No... I felt kind of sad when I saw the look on the guy's face after the verdict was read... It wasn't a pleasant thing... And I left the courthouse as soon as we were dismissed.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

I have wanted for years to be called to jury duty. Every job I have had pays me for it, so aside from my Adult ADHD I think it would be fun.

No go. Plus I would be excused by the defense team I am sure.

SkyePuppy said...

My sister-in-law had jury duty yesterday, so she couldn't come with us sight-seeing. After everyone was back at home, we had this same conversation.

Nobody in my family seems to get called for jury duty much at all. Except for me, of course. I get called every year or so. When I was contracting (as opposed to being a real employee), I always got out of it because I wouldn't be paid. But with my last job, I had to go in 2 or 3 times in 4 years. Last year I think was in December, so I'm due to get a jury notice again soon.

I don't understand how all of you manage to have jury duty be a safe-but-rare event. I'm just lucky, I guess.