Thursday, October 04, 2007

Desperate Filipinos

The Philippine government is to seek an apology from the producers of the hit US television series "Desperate Housewives" for a racial slur against Filipino medics, the Philippine Daily Inquirer said on its web site Wednesday.

The officials cited a recent episode where actress Teri Hatcher, who plays Susan Mayer, asked whether the person attending to her during a medical consultation "can I check those diplomas because I want to make sure that they're not from some med school in the Philippines."

I have a theory about this.

I am told - by Filipinos - that Filipinos love America and embrace its traditions. They are also hard working Christians.

Need I say more?

"...because I want to make sure that they're not from some med school in the Gaza Strip."

"...because I want to make sure that they're not from some med school in the Beijing."

"...because I want to make sure that they're not from some med school in the Havanna."

Mmm Hmm... I wouldn't suggest that you hold your breath until you hear any of these three statements coming out of Hollywood.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Mehe, the 'we despise Hollywood for their liberalness' theme is a) lame, b) tired and c) lame.

I think they chose a south-east Asian country, purely at random, because that area is stereotypically associated with bad medical practices and such.

Intimation of Christian-ey goodness: 1

Number of references to The Left: zero.

Sorry, just keeping track. It's fun y'all!

Bekah said...

and to think that i found that line comical when watching the show.