Thursday, July 27, 2006


Gardening Tip #4

Preparing Onions for Storage

This time of year my patio takes on a different look with onions and garlic drying for storage. Shown above are the "Texas Granos" that were the first to be harvested. When the green tops of my onions and garlic plants fall over and start to lose their green color, I pull them.

The garlic simply dries in the sun for one or two weeks and then I braid the tops and hang them in the garage or kitchen.

I let the onions dry in the sun for a couple days and then trim the roots and the tops and place them up close to the house out of the direct afternoon sun and allow them to dry for a couple weeks. Then I place them in mesh bags and hang them where they will get plenty of ventilation. If I do it right, I won't have to buy onions until late next spring.

Shown below are yellow sweet spanish onions that I pulled two days ago along with some garlic. I have cleverly placed a human foot (size 9 1/2) in the picture for scale. I'm disappointed in the size (of the onions), but some plants and some years are better than others.

Not shown are white spanish which are still in the garden reaching soft-ball size and still growing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, nice foot!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the onions and garlic look great too!

Malott said...

Thanks JT.

I almost fell on my butt taking that picture.

I wish I'd planted more garlic. That won't last until Christmas.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

I agree. You can never have too much garlic. If it's coming out your ears, the neighbors will take it off your hands.

I'm impressed that you're adept at braiding. I don't know that I would have thought of braiding garlic leaves, but it sounds like a fine plan.

Malott said...

Skyepuppy,

My sister had hair down to her rear end all the time I was a kid, and I watched my mother braid her hair a thousand times.

I hang the braids of garlic in my house and for some reason Democrats never come to visit.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

LOL

With all that garlic, does anybody come to visit?

Malott said...

Maybe that's why I'm single and lonely. Dang!