Monday, October 17, 2005

Remembering 9/12/01

Peter Heck writes the following about the incessant negativity from the Democrats and the liberal media in context to the president's low approval ratings:

"Every moment Americans turn around they are bombarded with the negativity that pervades so much of the discussion on the current situations in the United States. Whether it’s the sensationalizing of Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo abuse, the absurd exaggerations on the Katrina disaster, the misery portrayed in the Middle East, the “conviction” of key administration officials before they’ve ever been charged with anything, or the reported “cronyism” employed in the choice of Supreme Court justices, Americans have had little to sink their teeth into beyond the bitter taste of anti-American, anti-Bush sentiment being served from mainstream media sources."
www.peterheck.com

The negative attacks have been vicious and constant, however today's negativity pales to that which I felt personally on 9/12/01. I had watched the Twin Towers burn and then fall, and told a young friend, "Today our lives have changed forever." I wondered how many more attacks would take place in the following months and how many more Americans would die. I wondered if the stock market would crash, dissolving my retirement savings. I wondered if there would be an oil embargo with the return of gas lines and shortages.

I look around today and my world certainly isn't perfect. But there have been no more major attacks on the homeland. Al-Qada has been smashed in Afghanistan. Libya is dismantling its WMD. The Palestinians have a new leader and Egypt is holding elections. In Iraq a despot is gone and democracy is struggling forward. At home the economy is sound.

If you had shown a snapshot of 10/17/05 to me on 9/12/01, I would have been surprised and very relieved. I would also have believed that the right man was in the White House.

We are a very spoiled and forgetful nation. Even with the bombardment of negativity from the Left, we should remember how we felt on 9/12/01 and be thankful to God for giving us the right leader in this difficult chapter of our nation's history.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orewan, you have an interesting opinion of Mr. Heck's and Mr. Malott's view of things - not to mention an interesting definition of the word fanaticism. It's clear that you are approaching things with a liberal slant - and that's okay. You're as entitled to your opinions as they are to theirs. It just seems a bit extreme to accuse someone of fanaticism because they choose to focus on all the positive things that are happening rather than buying into the latest liberal or media soundbite of doom and gloom.

Contrary to your assertion, I doubt that either Mr. Heck or Mr. Malott think Republicans are infallible. I know I certainly don't. I do, however, strongly believe that the core principles and platform of the Republican Party are much better for me, my family and America (and consequently for the world) than those of the Democratic Party. Does that mean that Republicans aren't capable of wrongdoing or bad decisions? Certainly not. And I don't think Mr. Heck, Mr. Malott or most anyone else would suggest otherwise.

However, those of us who spend some time looking for credible news sources (and by this I largely mean sources other than the mainstream press), recognize that there are a lot of positive things going on in our country and throughout the world. Are there some terrible things going on too? Absolutely. But when isn't there?

Just because a person looks beyond the mainstream liberal press, that are out to paint conservatives and conservative policies in a bad light, in order to discover the good things that are happening, that doesn't make them a fanatic. Compared to where many feared we would be in this country after 9/11, I'd say we have a lot to be thankful for. Our economy is getting stronger every day, democracy is gaining ground in the Middle East, the list goes on... Recognizing and appreciating these facts (and how we got there) does not make me or anyone else a fanatic.

All I can say is that if I got all my news from mainstream sources, I would be so depressed that I'd probably want to hang myself in under a week. Maybe you prefer the negative though. If so, that's okay. It's just not my preference - of course, maybe that makes me a fanatic. It just seems to me that perpetually hating this president and every policy or action the administration takes, regardless of the reasons or the outcome is a lot more like fanaticism than looking for the truth amongst the media outlets that are constantly looking to foster that anti-Bush, anti-conservative mindset.

In fact, I dare say that I suspect many on the left actually hope for there to be a "horrible situation in the world and our economy" as you say, simply so they can attack the President and blame him for all their problems. Again, that seems a lot more like fanaticism to me than anything I've seen from Mr. Heck or Mr. Malott.

Malott said...

As for oil, I believe the markets will govern what, if any, action is taken. Your President Clinton understood this as did every president except perhaps Ford and Carter. My understanding is that the world is far from being short on oil, but that it lies in places that are difficult and more expensive to find and retrieve. As the demand (per China) goes up, the price goes up and makes other sources economical to pursue. Shale for instance. I remember hearing that we were running out of oil back in the mid-seventies. The trade deficit and inflation were going to destroy us, etc.

But I don't think the government should get overly involved in our energy "challenge." The government usually bureaucratically screws up everything it attempts to do. I do think we should drill for oil in Alaska. The environmental objections are groundless.

Global Warming? Maybe it is happening, but I personally believe it is cyclical and that man has had no part in it, and cannot alter it. President Clinton rejected the kyoto (sp?) treaty as has President Bush. (But Bush is destroying the environment and not Clinton? Interesting distinction) I believe that treaty would accomplish nothing but make us incapable of competing with China, and destroy our economy.

Honest debate on these issues may not lead to agreement. But if we stick to the issues and let the public and markets decide what they want, then there will be much less rancor. But mostly what I hear from the left is an argument on the qualities of George Bush. The Democrats should lay out their programs, tell us what it costs, and let us decide at the ballot box. Same with the war on terror. I believe John Kerry voted to invade Iraq, and had he been elected he would be running the war now much as Pres Bush is.

So fine, lets talk about the issues and stop finger-pointing.