Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The President's Pick

When I first heard about the president's choice and saw Harriett Miers I wondered if this woman was meant to be a sacrificial lamb who would be rejected and filibustered by Senate Democrats... making his next choice harder to reject. Then I heard that Harry Reid had suggested her as an acceptable choice and I got worried. The more I read on the internet, I began to wonder less about Harriet Miers... and wondered more, 'Who IS this guy in the White House?'

There were many good men and women that the President could have selected who had more impressive credentials and more assuring paper trails for concerned conservatives. But instead we get Harriet Miers?

Yesterday on the Peter Heck Show, Mr Heck, known to some simply as 'Himself', approached the subject with calm and balance. He obviously was not thrilled with the choice, but neither did he criticize it. Later I heard Dr James Dobson interviewed by Brit Hume. Dr Dobson also had reassuring words to say about Miss Miers, and was cautiously optomistic.

Like Mr Heck and Dr Dobson I pray for President Bush every day... and it may be spiritually impertinent to worry when he makes a decision I don't understand. So we will see. There is perhaps no other person whose heart and beliefs George Bush knows better than Harriet Miers. So this nominee may serve as a window into the heart and motivations of George Bush.


Update:
Here is an interview with Harriet Mier's pastor which is very reassuring: http://muscleheadrevolution.com/

2 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

Chris, I tried to listen to the audio clip, but my computer was incredibly slow downloading, so I didn't get to hear it. I have heard some others talking about the interview, and I've heard some other encouraging news about Miers from various sources. I think it's going to turn out to be a great pick, if conservatives don't end up being the ones to defeat her.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that after further reflection on this nomination, I am pretty frustrated - primarily because of the things you already identified. It may very well be that Miers is a great choice - strict constructionist and solid conservative. However, my frustration stems from the fact that the President put his base in the position of supporting a "just trust me" nomination.

With so many other great possibilities out there, why were we put in this position? Conservatives have been working way too long (long before Bush came to office) toward regaining a grip on the judiciary to be told by the man they worked so hard to elect: "Just trust me."

It appears that someone made the calculated decision that the President's base isn't going anywhere, so they needed to try to curry favor with the likes of Harry Reid, etc.

I hope and pray that Miers is a great pick - hopefully in the mold of Scalia and Bork. I'm frustrated that we don't already know the answer to that, however.