Wednesday, October 26, 2005


"Himself" Settles In

Four weeks ago the planet wobbled on its axis, the stars re-aligned, and the earth's crust shifted as He, whose minions refer to simply as "Himself", returned to the air-waves. It was indeed an event of cataclysmic proportions. Such power... such ominous grace... such an odd young man. Is this force new and monumental? Absolutely. Is it human? Perhaps. Will Howard and surrounding counties ever be the same? Maybe on the weekends... in Oakford.

Of his legion of minions I perhaps have known Mr Heck for the longest period of time. I remember one eve in Greentown when I asked him the meaning of life. He placed his hand on my shoulder, looked off into the distance and whispered, "plastic bed-sheets." Long I've struggled with the gravity of his reply. You see, at some point, early in Mr Heck's formative years, a significant portion of his mind ventured out into the nether regions of the ozone layer... and liked it there... And, at last check had summoned insufficient motivation to return. What made him the way he is? Was it his family, his diet, or was that 4-minute baptism just too darn long? Yes sir, I'd like to know.

Himself recently e-mailed me and asked if I had any suggestions for the show. "CHANGE NOTHING!" I cried. Do you change Mona Lisa's smile? Do you re-make Casablanca? Do you eat spaghetti with refried beans? (you can, but things turn ugly very quickly)

But though his hush puppies be worn, his pocket protector be frayed, his glasses be taped at the bridge of his nose... well, I've forgotten my point.

Anyway, continue to listen to "Himself" on 1350AM at 3PM Monday through Friday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to his show for about 2 weeks. I love it. How long do you think before it hits syndication? I can't figure it's too long. I guess I'd have to say Rush is still a bit more polished, but I'd listen to Peter Heck (or as you call him, "Himself") before a lot of the others out there. I can't imagine it will be too long before people around Kokomo will have a hard time even getting on his show. We'll see.

Malott said...

Mr Heck has the gift of gab, a passion for politics, and a really unique sense of humor. And I think his show is just going to get better. I hope you're right about the syndication part of it.

Thanks for visiting my site. Come back.

Anonymous said...

The gift of gab indeed...but the humor is what will sell this show. Blending humor and analysis is what has gotten him to where he is. It's a careful balance, but I think he does a pretty good job. Syndication may still be a way's off though.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I know you're pretty attached to this "Himself" thing, but I've always thought that "Hey You" (when addressing him) or "You Know, That Guy" (when referring to him) might be easier for his minions to remember. What do you think?

Malott said...

gd,
I agree with you about the humor selling the show. When Himself is "on" the humor and the passion for issues march in step... and set him apart with the likes of Limbaugh. Syndication may seem a ways off, but there are those in the business who recognize what Himself's talent would become with a full-time commitment and a staff. We have to understand that himself literally throws this show together in a very short period of time each day... by "Himself". How many people does Limbaugh have helping him prepare? I think you'd agree its pretty amazing what "Himself" accomplishes every day.

Andrew,
"Himself" might never catch on. How about, "Hey radio boy!" Hmm. Somehow that conjures an image of a young man in a mask and leotards... disturbing? Hopefully we're not headed there.