Wednesday, October 26, 2005


Don't Arrest This Poor Woman

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cindy Sheehan, the military mother who made her son's death in Iraq a rallying point for the anti-war movement, plans to tie herself to the White House fence to protest the milestone of 2,000 U.S. military deaths in Iraq.
"I'm going to go to Washington, D.C. and I'm going to give a speech at the White House, and after I do, I'm going to tie myself to the fence and refuse to leave until they agree to bring our troops home," Sheehan said in a telephone interview last week as the milestone approached.

"And I'll probably get arrested, and when I get out, I'll go back and do the same thing," she said.

This poor woman is obviously sincere and I believe it would be the height of insensitivity to arrest her and take her away from the White House fence. After all, she says that she will go right back once she is released. I feel the government should respect her wishes and allow her to demonstrate her strong convictions. Oh sure, there are laws to be enforced... I'm just saying put off enforcing them... maybe until March.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

It has recently come to my attention that r. blacksmith of the KP blog is currently in Washington as we speak. I have read him your post and encouraged him to take a quick pass by the White House while there in the hopes that he can have the pleasure of capturing this lovely moment on film. Maybe he'll bring back a picture you can use for a future post...who knows?

For the record, I agree...I think she should be allowed to stay as long as she would like. March sounds about right. I once thought that, being a mom now, I could sort of understand how she felt, but the more I know and hear about Cindy Sheehan and her actions, the more I realize that I will never understand why she is doing this. It seems to me that she is dishonoring her son's beliefs and memory and this should bring her more grief, not comfort. I think perhaps the saddest part of this story is the way in which Ms. Sheehan is being shamelessly used by the Left and the media.

Malott said...

She is definitely being used, and maybe this obviously simple woman needed this attention after losing her son. OK, thats all the kindness I can muster.

There are probably other mothers out there who have lost sons... who are working to support the troops in various ways. I haven't heard about them.

Oh, and Christina... does Andrew know about your correspondence with r. blacksmith? APH is a hot-tempered lad and wouldn't like being played the fool. He's an animal. Be careful.