Tuesday, November 29, 2011

BIG

A friend of mine had worked for some time at Health and Human Services when a young technician, a black girl, was hired into the lab.  My friend asked her to clean and sanitize a laboratory water bath and the black girl refused, claiming it was "maid's work."  She added, "If you make me do work that is beneath me, I'll go straight to Blacks in Government (BIG) and there will be war!" 

Choosing to avoid war, my friend cleaned the water bath.

I wasn't aware that there was a BIG.  Evidently it's like an unofficial union that uses its influence to protect African Americans from having to clean and sanitize water baths... Or any other work they feel casts them in stereotypical roles.  BIG was established in 1976... not exactly the heyday of racial discrimination.

My friend assured me that there is currently no organization called Whites in Government... or WIG.

However in just a few years, White-Americans, men and women of pallor, will be in the minority for the first time in our country's history.  There will be no more playing the race card to intimidate Whitey.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that Whitey will be a word that only Whitey will be allowed to use. 

....

No comments: