Monday, January 03, 2011

My Favorite Dead Actresses

12. Dorothy McGuire... Friendly Persuasion, Old Yeller, The Enchanted Cottage, Gentleman's Agreement

11. Audrey Hepburn... Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady

10. Maureen O'Sullivan... Hey! The real Jane needs to be on the list.

9. Jean Peters... Her looks made Niagara worth watching, not Monroe's.

8. Katharine Hepburn... Maybe the best actress of all... My #8

7. Claudette Colbert... My favorite Cleopatra... Terrific in It Happened One Night.

6. Olivia de Havilland/Joan Fontaine... My favorite movie sisters: The Snake Pit/Rebecca... Gone with the Wind/Jane Eyre... The Adventures of Robin Hood/Suspicion...

Note: Technically speaking, Olivia and Joan aren't actually dead... But I really like them and wanted them on my list... So I'm pretending.

5. Bette Davis... So versatile... All About Eve, and the ugly duckling in Now, Voyager... And then she came back to scare us in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

4. Myrna Loy... The best years of our Lives, The Thin Man series. A beauty.

3. Miss Barbara Stanwyck... Meet John Doe, Ball of Fire, Double Indemnity... Never thought she was pretty, but loved her performances.

2. Grace Kelly... My favorite Hitchcock Girl. Her performance in Rear Window would be enough to get her on my list.

1. Jean Arthur... Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Mr Deeds Goes to Town, You Can't Take it With You... for crying out loud, she played the beautiful farmer's wife in Shane at the age of 52. Loved the voice! My numero uno favorite.



Not dead enough to make the list: Doris Day

....

No comments: