Saturday, May 24, 2008

Malott's Italian Sub

I am not a brilliant man. I am not a brilliant medical technologist. But am I a brilliant cook?

Probably.

Because I'm gracious, kind, and reek of piety... I've decided to share my recipe for Italian Subs. I know... I know... You're welcome!

Ingredients:

1) Deli style sub buns
2) Shaved baked ham
3) Shaved salami
4) Contadina tomato paste w/ tomato pesto
5) Provolone cheese
6) McCormack's Italian seasoning

Listen closely: Open the sub bun - you may have to use a knife - toast under your broiler until light golden brown. (This keeps your sandwich from being soggy)
On the bottom bun half, spread tomato paste, add a thin layer of ham and a thin layer of salami, and place under the broiler (This half needs to toast a smidgen longer than the top.)
On the top bun half, place a layer of provolone, sprinkle on Italian seasoning, and place under broiler.
When it's done, place the halves together... And enjoy.

You can deviate from my ingredients and instructions... But understand this: You'll be screwing with perfection. And no one respects that.

4 comments:

Tsofah said...

Malott:

Great sandwich! My hubby wanted me to try making it, and since he loves ham, he said it was good. It reminded him of a type of "ham parmesean" type sandwich.

Me? I don't eat ham if I can help it. One of my grandfather's raised hogs, and they were some of the smelliest, dirtiest, orneryist type of creatures! I just don't like it.

That meant I could not be an appropriate "judge" of the Malott Masterpiece! (Oh, yeah, that's what we are calling the sandwich here!) ;-)

janice said...

Sandwich Party at Chris' house!


tsofah,
I agree with the pig assessment.

You'll both find this a bit funny. My fathers parents in PA also raised pigs. At age 4 or 5 a cousin and I went 'up' to the pig-pen. Dressed in a camel colored coat and white boots, I climbed the rickety fence and toppled over head first in the......mess. My cousin came in to rescue me and as I became upright, my boots got stuck in the.....mess I found my bootless self knee deep in the....mess.

My Jewish mother had a fit!

Tsofah said...

Janice:

(smile) As we used to say as children: "Stepped in what? Up to your neck you say?"

The muck and mire are never fun. The stink is even worse!

janice said...

Yes, the smell was indeed the worst.

Grandma hosed us off in the yard and try as she might, the coat was turned into an instant "Grandmas house hand-me-down" for one of the other 30 or so grand-kids. The boots as well.

Mother (refused) politely insisted the items remain in PA.