Friday, August 26, 2005

Rural Conservatives and City Liberals

Lately I've been trying to figure out the relationship between a person's political philosophy, their daily pursuits, and the density of the population in the area in which they live. Is there some pattern or symmetry expressed in the relationship between one's recreational activities and his world view, or does his world view dictate the activities that he pursues? Are cities conducive to liberal thoughts and ideas? Why are rural areas more conservative? Do certain kinds of people naturally migrate to metropolitan areas? I wonder if simply the "pace" of a person's daily routine has a profound effect on the way he views politics and political philosophies.

The left would probably say that rural conservatives are unsophisticated, uninformed, or ill-informed rubes. I would agree that rural folk tend to be less "fashionable" in their thinking, but fashion is not a measure of mental sophistication or level of political awareness. One's attentiveness to fashionable ideas, dress, etc. is more indicative of a person being directed mentally and attitudinally by others.

I know nothing about modern art, so I would say, I don't "do" modern art. Do the rank and file individuals that vote for liberals "do" politics? The pundits and activists definitely do, but the rank and file? Are they more informed and engaged with their political beliefs and leaders than the conservative rank and file? If so, how do you explain the tremendous success of the Fox News Channel? If liberals were the ones interested and in touch with current events wouldn't CNN's ratings be at least on a par with Fox? Why is conservative talk radio so successful and "Air America" such a pathetic failure? I believe that the people who "do"politics overwhelmingly vote conservative. I believe a survey would show that conservatives are more likely to know the names of their congressman and senators and are more likely to be aware of current political issues. These are generalizations, to be sure, but I believe they bear up under scrutiny.

So why are rural and city people generally so different?

Marshall McLuhan wrote about "hot" and "cool" media. A hot medium is "high definition ... the state of being well-filled with data." A cool medium is "low definition and has to be filled in, or completed, by the listener." For instance "print" is a cool medium and movies are a hot medium. I would suggest here that city life is an intensely "hot" medium that inflicts upon its audience a barrage of stimuli that is much less conducive to the detached reflection and repose often associated with a more pastoral setting. The in-your-face presence of city-life and the seemingly infinite entertainment opportunities surely has a narcotic kind of influence that leaves one constantly in search of the next "party,"... the next "distraction."

Contrast that with my little life. My conservative rural day begins with coffee, scripture reading, prayer, and a little exercise, followed by more coffee on my patio while I look out upon a soybean field. The medium in which I live gets a little "hotter" when I get to work, but afterwards there is conversation with family, neighbors, and usually puttering around in my garden. I'm asleep before 10PM every night. Fashion doesn't play a big role in my life. I would suggest here that rural life is a "cool" medium of existence in which one plays a more participatory, thoughtful, and self-directed role.

What we believe and value is always influenced and edited by our environment. I believe the values expressed by metropolitan liberals often reflect a fast-paced life that is lost in the popular culture of the day... and pop culture is a liberal manifestation of the liberal media.

1 comment:

Bryan Alexander said...

Wow! What a post! That's a lot of food for thought, and I think you've hit on some interesting factors. Here are a couple of other factors that I think contribute to the fact that large metropolitan areas tend to lean left.

1. Inner city poor: The left has convinced (wrongly) many low-income people that they offer the best chance out of poverty.
2. The left's "anything goes" attitude toward moral values: People with this type of moral code tend to gravitate toward the big city.

I know that many would call me judgmental for these comments. However, I am commenting on general trends and in no way intend to imply that all or even most city people are less moral than rural people.