Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Pat Robertson's Calling

So I heard that CBN founder Pat Robertson is calling for the assassination of Venezuela's leader Hugo Chavez. If I'd been next to him in the studio when he made such a remark I hope I would have had the presence of mind to ask, "What would Jesus do, Pat?" Then perhaps Pat would have said, "If Jesus was responsible for national security he would take-out Hugo Chavez."

Before I go further I want to say that I have the greatest respect for Mr Robertson. When Pat reaches heaven I believe he will be able to look around and see hundreds of thousands of souls who would not be there if not for him and his ministry through the years. Its hard to criticize a man like that.

That said, there are so many times that this gentleman will say things that just leave me shaking my head. During the last presidential campaign he said that he had warned President Bush about invading Iraq but that the president assured him that the endeavor would be an easy one.

This did not help the President. But to understand why Robertson might say such a thing about a president that he supported, perhaps you need to go back to the time when he ran for the presidency himself. It was then that he made the political blunder of saying that there were still nuclear missiles in Cuba. He took a beating for that statement and I believe he has been looking for a little respect ever since.

So when the media comes calling today feigning respect, Pat tries to project the image of elder statesman and has on occasion put his foot in his mouth.

The liberal media has become very adept at using Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson to further their own agenda. And Jerry and Pat willingly step right up to be made caricatures of religious conservatives. If they were effective the media wouldn't come near them.

Pat Robertson has accomplished many great things in his ministry. His calling is more noble than politics and I wish he would stick to it.

No comments: